Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella is almost 7 months old, We are setting up our Christmas tree in the beginning of December. We put it on a table in the corner of our house next to a couch on one wall and a chair on the other so it's behind the 2 pieces of furniture, but Bella likes to chew on everything, I'm worried she will run back there and tear down the tree, eat the glitter off the table covering, or knock it down when she is doing her zoomies, we try to watch her constantly but some times she sneaks back there, since her bed is behind the chair that will be next to the Christmas tree.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I would see if you can find something to block the area (for example baby gates or boxes) around the tree when your not able to watch her around it. And maybe move her bed until you take down the tree so she's not laying next to it. Its already on a table so that should help.
I would first see how she reacts with the tree in general and go from there.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
what's with you guys starrting with christmas decoration already? XD

with the new puppies we always locked the room when we were not there to supervise.
with the adult dogs... they both were/are used to it and Sancho hates fire, so he won't get near the candles and because of that he'll stay away from the tree.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Ditto close supervision and management. Don't give her the opportunity to get back there. Lots of people block assess to the room. Others tether or very closely supervise puppies around the tree. Redirecting to appropriate toys if they show interest and crating when unable to supervise. Some people use exercise pens to completely block the tree. Get creative and figure out what works for you. :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I used bells the bottom of the tree. Every time Tessa knocked into them, I redirected her away from the tree, made her sit and gave a treat.

Unfortunately, she's so smart she learned that if she hit the bell she'd get a treat; little stinker lol.

Anyway, she stays in my bedroom during the day, so she's never left without supervision.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
This may be a good opportunity to teach her a "leave it" command. That is a command that I feel is not taught enough (based on the people that I know). It's a command that could be life saving... and money saving because she won't chew on your stuff ;)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
This may be a good opportunity to teach her a "leave it" command. That is a command that I feel is not taught enough (based on the people that I know). It's a command that could be life saving... and money saving because she won't chew on your stuff ;)
I agree. a positively taught abort command can save the dogs life.

Reactions: Aspen726
1 - 10 of 10 Posts