Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another one of my development questions, and I realize there's no set answer. I'm just looking for generalities.

Is there an approximate age where a pup becomes coordinated enough to start doing pretty well with catch?

I can tell you right now Cobber (at 15 weeks) seems clueless when it comes to catch. He throws his own toys up in the air beautifully ;) and we're working now on "go" using a treat he can easily see (so if the floor is dark, I use a light-colored treat) that I toss a little ways away for him to watch and then "go" get. But catch seems light years out of his league.

Any thoughts on when that starts to be something they grasp (in general)? Or is there a gradual way of training them to catch? I've tried gently tossing a treat he knows I have up in the air a little ways and towards him, and he just sits there while it plops down in front of him or even occasionally lands on his nose :rolleyes:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Kabota didn't know it and he was 3-5 years when I got him. He's still about 50/50 on it. I think some dogs just don't "get" catch.

This same dog has caught birds on the wing, btw. Maybe he'd have better luck if I threw things at him full force instead of lightly tossing them up, but I'm not trying it.

Reactions: efinley

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Titan got it probably a few months after I got him, so about 1 year old. And then it took another month or so to perfect his catching skills.

My sister's puppy just started to be able to catch really well about 6 months old.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
This is a fun thread. Sam when 12 wks, would sit at my feet while I had some kibble on my tv table. I'd get his attention tell him watch, had him focused, then I'd drop it saying catch. Seems like the first million trys it would bounce off his nose. Finally one day he caught it, I praised the living daylight out of him, and soon he was catching anything and every thing.
Takes practice and a lot of patience.
Yours will get it, I am almost positive. Good luck.
It;s so fun to watch them learn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.