Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love to make interesting treats for my dog. If it gets hot were you live this is a perfect recipe for you. If not, this is still a fun tasty treat for your pooch.

Ingredients List:

- Flavor Items (just some nice ingredients to add flavor you can mix these to create flavors like peanut butter banana which would be peanut butter and bananas) : chicken broth, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, peanut butter, tiny bit of apple juice.

- Yogurt (Not required but goes well with fruity flavors, make sure it's low fat and plain flavored or vanilla)

- Ice Cubes

Directions:

Put all your ingredients in the blender and blend them until they become a smoothie like consistency. Don't overdue the flavor items. Pour the "smoothie" into a little dixie cup. Put a few dixie cups full in the freezer for 2-3 hours and save them for a hot day.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
NEAT! It sounds easy too!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put a little piece of bacon treat (like the size of a nickel or so) in each hole of an ice cube tray, then fill it up and freeze it. My dog loves those, as the ice gets flavored by the treat. They're quick, easy, safe, and they helped him a lot with his teething.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm going to try this, because its starting to get hot where we are. I'll try it in my popsicle-makers.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My co-worker and I were just talking about doing this for the shelter dogs and I really want to do it for my own too.

We talked about using chicken or beef broth and putting it into Dixie cups along with a rawhide type "stick." I just thought about putting a piece of bacon treat in them. Great idea and I'm going to have to try it really soon! It's been in the high 90s-low 100s for about two weeks now.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Use the low sodium/fat free broth if you are using canned broth. I've made frozen spinach/carrot/apple/pear ice cubes for my dogs and they love them. Put all the stuff in my food processor to grind it up a bit, freeze it and then pop them out and give them a few at a time.
I've also kept a kong with peanut butter frozen for them and alternate the empty one for a full one as a treat.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I'll look for the low sodium stuff when I go to the store. I didn't think about putting yogurt in it. It would thicken it up a lot! Great idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts