Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our 6 month old lab/dane/pit mix just got diagnosed with demodex mites today after a while of being itchy and with strange bald patches. I was overjoyed because, yay! a diagnosis and something we can actually treat...

But the vet just have her a small oral dose and then some antibiotic pills to treat some small areas of infection from the scratching and about 7 hour later she has thrown up twice and won't eat. I know dogs can be sensitive to ivermectin and it can be very serious and fatal in some cases.

So now I'm worried that if she can't have the ivermectin, is there an alternative that can cure her of these mites? She's so itchy and so many bald patches, I feel so bad for the poor girl. Now she's vomiting on top of all of that. I'm going to call my vet in the morning and I won't give her any more ivermectin doses but are there any other remedies that have worked for you guys?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Get a Preventic flea collar made by Virbac. I think pet stores carry them, or at your vet either one. They aren't labeled for use for mange mites, but years ago we had one with it and our vet gave us one, saying they should be labeled for demodex. It will get a little bit worse before getting better, but then it will go away quickly. And he was right, it did and never had another problem again. It was amazing how well it worked.

·
Registered
368 Posts
1) Ivomec rarely causes vomiting, even if a dog has an abnormal sensitivity to it... could be the antibiotics are what is making your pet vomit... or maybe something completely unrelated (puppies eat things all the time that make them vomit). Ivermectin toxicity usually results in neurologic problems.

2) Demodex rarely makes dogs itchy... it is more likely that the secondary skin infections are making your pet itchy. Demodex infestations usually cause hair loss and overall poor dermal health, but the itching is due to a complication of the infestation.

3) Alternatives certainly do exist: first of all, I would strongly recommend an antiseptic shampoo for the skin infection, and stop the oral antibiotics. That would help eliminate not only the skin infection but remove the potential nausea the antibiotics may be causing. Then I would either try a Mitaban dip (every 2 weeks), which is actually the only non-off-label treatment for Demodex. But Mitaban can be a bit on the toxic side sometimes (for you as well as your pet- USE gloves!), and has to be diluted precisely or it can be easy to overdose a puppy. A new flea/tick medication called Bravecto has been shown to have very good activity against Demodex though it has to be given every 1-2 months rather than the normal every three months that is recommended for flea and tick control (can get pricey, particularly for a large dog). And if the Demodex is very localized (just one bald spot) a Rotenone product (Goodwinol) can be used to topically control focal Demodex infestations.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Have to say I did not know that, but not terribly surprised as the two drugs are related. My experience with Bravecto, though, has shown it is not as reliable a treatment as is Ivermectin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts