Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Did a big trim on Tucker last night. He had quite the flow happening but was starting to mat a bit more than I can keep up with, plus the heat hear has been nuts as of late so thought good trim down would help in a few respects. Because he had quite a bit of fur the whole process took about an hour and a half... He's really good with letting me handle him, touch his ears, paws and face. I've clipped him before but at a longer length so it was a much quicker process, anyway he's fairly used to the clippers as we've done a few introductions to it and before I started last night I let him sniff it, gave him treats, then did the same after turning it on.. All was going well for the first 45mins - hour, then I think he was just getting tired with the whole process. He was getting treats through out and I gave him breaks and played a bit.

Now time for my question. lol - the last 30 mins or so he was starting to get anxious, yawning, licking his lips, licking me. Nothing extreme and I tried to finish up as quick as possible (he's got some questionably groomed areas as a result.) Just wondering if anyone has tips on what to do to put him at ease in situations like this?

After the clipping I skipped the bath part of his grooming in favour of an extra long session of ball, he had a ton of energy to expend after his trim, then he laid on my face as I tried to read a book so all went back to normal fairly quickly. :) Also before and after pics cause why not? lol

Attachments

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
That is a long grooming session. Maybe you could do it in two days instead of one long session. Also make sure the clippers are not hot. When I groomed I changed blades frequently to make sure the blades don't get to hot. I had many new clients that were shy of the clippers because they had been burned by other groomers. It sounds like you were getting signals to stop that your pup was done for what ever reason. If you want your pup to be good during grooming don't over do it. I am not saying stop after 5 minutes but 1 hour should be the limit.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clippers weren't hot to the touch. There was a guard on the whole time and I checked against my arm frequently. I gave him a break every 15-20 mins. In future I'll plan ahead a bit better unfortunately this time I didn't have the ability to spread it over 2 days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts