Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pungsan vs. Jindo.

29K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  ruthcatrin 
#1 ·
I'll purchase one of them soon, but I was wondering what would be the best for me.
I can't get that much information on the pungsan, so I need someone who knows them to tell me the differences between these two breeds. How much bigger are pungsans? What's the difference in attitudes toward strangers, and temperament in general? Are there pungsans that have coats other than white?

Any book I could read about any of these breeds would be welcome too.

#3 ·
Never heard of both breeds and probably not many here have. So you might want to listen ruth. Go ask the breeders about the two breeds. From what I can gather is they are korean dogs and since I've never heard of them until you mentioned them, I guess that means they are very rare and hard to get and they aren't even known in america. (Not sure where you're from.) Good luck.

#5 ·
Have you owned a dog before? These dogs do not make good first-time dogs. It might also be useful to know where you live so we can help possibly help with reputable breeder search.

Reactions: subado
#6 ·
I've only owned one dog in my life. That is, a dog I could truly call my own. I have, however, lived with dogs since I was born, helped educate them, and even dealt with aggressive adopted strays, so I'm not a first time owner.

I know a fair amount about the jindo, as much as I could get my hands on, either online or from books. Sadly, it's short from what I wish I could learn. I, however, even being interested in the pungsan, and knowing it is similar to the jindo, thought maybe someone had first time experiences with them.

About breeders, I will have to import from Korea. I live in Mexico, and the only breeder in the continent will not let me visit his place, which gives me doubt about the conditions the dogs could be in.

#8 ·
What gives you interest in these breeds? Are you ready to pay such a high price from buying from a good breeder, then importing?

I know from my experience (I'm going to be importing a dog from Europe within the next year or two, depending on when they breed the female I am interested in) that this would not be cheap. A dog itself from a good breeder is about 2000$, now calculate flight cost, another 1000$ at least.

#9 ·
The importing is not a huge problem, according to the Korean Kennel Federation. I would just need my papers in order. The airline charges 130 dollars or so, and I can bring the puppy in the cabin, considering it and it's carriage are under 20 lbs.
The puppy is around 2 k actually, you're right. Another cost I consider is the trip to Korea, as I want to see what the place I will buy the puppy from is like, and it would be an excellent excuse for a vacation.
Experience with dogs, I'll try to list it here...probably lots are missing. First of all of course, my dog, Mika, who was a GSD mixed with some hound, probably Basset. GSD, Labrador Retriever, Dachshund, Beagle, GSD mix, Golden Retriever, Chihuahua, Pitbull, an agressive Belgian Shepherd Mallinois mix, a very aggressive when nervous Pointer mix, some Poodles (I can't stand them though, for some reason), Newfoundland, and Samoyed.
The dogs I "have" right now are my mother's. A very old Golden, who we found 2 years ago in the street, when she was around 2, and who mostly keeps to herself. And Then the pair of "brothers". One is complete mutt, I couldn't guess what he is. He is one of the smartest yet most stubborn dogs I've met. He's SO easy to train, yet so hard to make obey, constantly trying to push his boundaries, with both us, and the other dogs(he's younger than a year so he is under all the rest still). However, He is very loyal, and very affectionate, but very jealous. The other dog is a black GSD. He can be mischievious, but usually is the one that keeps the other one in control, Very lively but calm at same time, if a bit spazzy. The mutt's temperament, combined with being a bit more reserved with strangers, as this one's EXTREMELY sociable, the ruggedness and agility of a spitz, that's what made me choose the Jindo, and why I think it would fit me.
Now about the Pungsan...I just heard They're like bigger Jindos. More research would be needed if I considered purchasing one

#10 ·
K, I'd suggest seeing if you can find a primative breed breeder near you who'll let you visit. Something like a Basenji maybe, or someone who breeds Livestock Guardian Dogs maybe. Or a breeder who has dogs owned near you who's owner would let you visit. Though not identical to a Jindo, the primitives are going to be closer to what the Jindo or pungsan would be like. They don't handle or train like most of those breeds. SOME GSDs and Malinois are closer, but even then....

I don't have PERSONAL experience with pungsan, so I can't answer the specifics you're looking for, I've met a Jindo, and I own a New guinea Singing Dog. They don't handle at all like other dogs.

#11 ·
Thanks, finding a Basenji breeder near me is a good idea, I'll try that. Does the Japanese Akita or Shiba have a close temperament to the Jindo? I've never met these breeds personally, nor know much about them, but I know a breeder not far from me. So that could also be an option, maybe.

#13 ·
lol Akita's are not LSG :p Actually it's a Japanese Akita that I'm going to be importing ;) The Jindo would be more similar to a Kishu Inu or the Shikoku Inu, both these breeds are very similar to the Jindo as they are primitive hunting dogs.

Akitas (Japanese) are are primitive breeds, however their history as a working dog has been all over the map from hunting to baby sitting. The most recent and last job they've had before WWII was being fighting dogs. It's get's a bit complicated after that, but basically they are a primitive breed, however they way they behave is different from a true primitive hunting dog.

I do believe you still haven't answered my question as to why you would like one of these two dogs ;)

#14 ·
lol Akita's are not LSG :p Actually it's a Japanese Akita that I'm going to be importing ;) The Jindo would be more similar to a Kishu Inu or the Shikoku Inu, both these breeds are very similar to the Jindo as they are primitive hunting dogs.

I know, I didn't mean to imply they were, but they're comparble to the Jindo the way a LGD would be, but not as close as, say, a Basenji would be.

#15 ·
Nevermind the Akita, I found a Basenji breeder some 5 hours away from me. I'll be paying a visit next weekend.

As to why I want it, well, there's lots of reasons. I miss having a dog of my own, that strong connection I used to feel with her, while just going out on the wild, shopping, or whatever. I love my mother's dogs very much, but it's just not the same, they're hers (not talking about material ownership, but who the dogs have "that" bond with. It's been almost 5 years since my dog died, and I decided I want a new dog.
As to why I want these dogs specifically...I just think a jindo would suit me, I love huskies but I sometimes find that they are aloof with their owners and overly friendly with strangers, as seem to be most occidental spitz. I found the jindo while looking at a list of spitz and their respective temperaments, and I loved all I read. I like a dog that's reserved with strangers, yet not aggressive. I live on my own, so I want a dog that doesn't need to be with other dogs all day, but again, who won't be aggressive towards others when I take him out. It says it tends to not bark unless it's a really important matter. It's also a very clean breed, except for the shedding, which is very convenient. It lives for about 13-14 years and is a generally healthy breed, I LOVE that. It's very smart, so he/she will understand me very well, but at the same time, I tend to dislike overly pleasing dogs (labradors, goldens, newfies), so even the stubbornness seems appealing to me.
Even though I have lots of experience with dogs, this is the first time I'm actually choosing one, My other dog just kind of arrived by mere chance to me. She was under 2 months old, looked exactly like a GSD pup, and my neighbor found her wandering around the street, dirty as an old rag. She showed her to me and I mainy fell in love.
Anyway, sorry about all the blabber.

#16 ·
Nevermind the Akita, I found a Basenji breeder some 5 hours away from me. I'll be paying a visit next weekend.

Anyway, sorry about all the blabber.

Good!

And don't worry, thats EXACTLY what I was looking to hear. Go arrange a visit to the Basenji place and ask lots of questions, yes the answers will be breed specific, but its probly the closest you'll get to asking a Jindo breeder!

#17 ·
I've known family members and friends who have owned the Jindo breed... here's what immediately comes to mind when I think back on their dogs.... just my 2 cents:

-highly reserved, very composed
-extremely clean
-extremely agile, amazing leapers
-wary of strangers
-strong guarding instincts
-barkers

I've been told this is a one-of-a-kind breed that requires a one-of-a-kind owner, perhaps your interest in the Jindo is reflective of your lifestyle, personality, etc?

#19 ·
-highly reserved, very composed
-extremely clean
-extremely agile, amazing leapers
-wary of strangers
-strong guarding instincts
-barkers

I've been told this is a one-of-a-kind breed that requires a one-of-a-kind owner, perhaps your interest in the Jindo is reflective of your lifestyle, personality, etc?
I guess the dog you choose always reflects who you are. Not only for me but for everyone else. And not just for the breed, but for the puppy itself. It's the same as when you choose the rest of your friends.

All the aspects you mentioned, except for the barking, are something positive for me. Plus I think another thing that won me over is seeing how, even though very reserved and wary of strangers, they are extremely loving towards their owners.

#20 ·
I actually read through your earlier post and while I'm no Caesar Milan, I think the Jindo may be a good fit for you. Several years ago, I back packed through Korea and spent several days on the Island of Jindo. I'll reaffirm my observations about this breed. Oh, I also recall my relatives had major issues keeping them in their yards. They could leap high walls and would either dig their way out of places....

#22 ·
Tall fences are the common thing where I live. I live near the outskirts of Mexico city. It's kind of living in a suburb in the US, but we don't have open yards. So, the running away is not an issue. Besides I don't plan on leaving him/her outside unsupervised for long. I don't like leaving dogs locked outside, and he/she will sleeo in my room. The only time there would be any trouble leaving him/her in the garden would be sometimes that I went out alone with friends or something of the sort, so I'd leave the house door open so he/she wouldn't be bored inside. But I'll be very careful on blocking any "escape routes" there might be. Plus, I'm seriously considering on getting a GPS tracking chip; Either on the collar or implanted subcutaneously, "just in case".

#23 ·
Good!

Plus, I'm seriously considering on getting a GPS tracking chip; Either on the collar or implanted subcutaneously, "just in case".
BTW, the implanted ones aren't GPS tracking unless you guys have a really different tech set down there. They're just readable with the right readers from a short distance. The collar trackers though are a good idea, just check coverage in your area, they're usually based off of cell phone coverage.

#24 ·
BTW, the implanted ones aren't GPS tracking unless you guys have a really different tech set down there. They're just readable with the right readers from a short distance.
Yep, you're right, apparently GPS chips small enough to be implanted are still in development, so I guess that's not an option for a while.
I'll research on a good wearable one though, hopefully one that works when I'm hiking or somewhat far from the city.

#25 ·
Juanie, I'm tending to think, a Jindo might not be the best breed for you. In fact, they are really not a breed for most dog lovers.

With a huge Oriental population in California, we constantly find them being bred, not trained properly and ending up in rescue. They can be very destructive, aggressive to other animals, barkers, love to roam and the average person cannot handle them easily. I lived next door to one for a couple of years. They had to keep him tied when outside or he would and did, easily scale all fencing.

If you do decide upon this breed, you should do a whole lot of research and visit some kennels and dogs, here in California. I certainly would not import one without spending some time with them. It doesn't sound as though you are well set up for such a breed.

Lizzie

#26 ·
Lizzie,

I tried to find Jindo breeders anywhere in the continent. The only one I could find is in Texas, and will not let me visit his place. If you have any place you can recommend me to go to to meet some personally in Cali, specially near or in SD, it would be great.
I am trying to do all the research I can, and trying to find books specialized on the breed. Sadly for me, they're all in Korean.
About the "surrendering" issue, I would NEVER ABANDON my dog. Nor do people in my family. In fact, the 2 "brothers" I was talking about earlier were pups we found laying around on the street. The plan was to keep them with us, "keep an emotional distance" while we found good owners for them. Sadly, or luckily, depending on how you look at it, we never found an owner that we deemed good enough. And we soon started looking less and less,not really wanting to let go.
Besides, I think leaving your dog in a place like that is cruel, irresponsible, selfish...If you really can not take care of your dog anymore, in my opinion, it's your responsability to find a good home in which he/she will be happy.

#27 · (Edited)
A quick search on Petfinder, came up with many and many Jindo crosses. These are all in California.

Pet Search Results: Adoptable Jindo Dog Pets in LINDSAY, CA: Petfinder

We have way too many in our state and not nearly enough people being willing to take on the breed.

You will note that there are 94 up for adoption if you click on the arrow. Many there are obviously not mixes as advertised, but pure Jindos. They are pretty easy to pick out, after you've been around them for a while. There was a large breeder around the S. Cal area, who used to boast how many dogs his stud dog had killed. Many you find in rescue in S. Cal, came from this one breeder.

Lizzie

#29 ·
I don't remember his name now. He was Korean, as was my neighbour who purchased his pup from him. I don't know about being 'registered'. We don't register breeders, we register dogs - mostly with the AKC in the US. Jindos are not able to be registered within the AKC, as far as I know. Don't know if there is a separate registry of Jindos. Some might be registered with the 'off' kennel clubs, such as the Continental Kennel Club, which will register just about anything.

I do know that anywhere you find a large Oriental population, you find tons of Jindos being bred and in rescues. Like many other breeds which are unusual, people get them and then realise they cannot handle them.

Lizzie

#30 ·
I do know that anywhere you find a large Oriental population, you find tons of Jindos being bred and in rescues. Like many other breeds which are unusual, people get them and then realise they cannot handle them.

Lizzie
Which was why I suggested meeting up with a Basenji breeder and meeting their dogs. Didn't occur to me that Cali would have a Jindo population (in retrospect your right, that makes sense that they would), and Basenji's are the most "common" breed thats the closest to what a Jindo would be like. No, not identical, but closer than most of the other breeds commonly found.

#31 ·
I've been in dogs seriously, for about 60 years. I've bred, shown, handled and trained, many breeds. Even if I were younger and could handle another new breed now, I'd definitely not get a Jindo. Very, very few, could handle and train one successfully, I think. Especially anyone not extremely familiar and educated with the training and handling of dogs in general.

I think the suggestion of another breed, such as a Basenji, is a good idea for this OP. There is a good reason, why so many Jindos arrive in rescue. This, even though their numbers are few, compared to most breeds.

Lizzie

#32 ·
I've been in dogs seriously, for about 60 years. I've bred, shown, handled and trained, many breeds. Even if I were younger and could handle another new breed now, I'd definitely not get a Jindo. Very, very few, could handle and train one successfully, I think. Especially anyone not extremely familiar and educated with the training and handling of dogs in general.

I think the suggestion of another breed, such as a Basenji, is a good idea for this OP. There is a good reason, why so many Jindos arrive in rescue. This, even though their numbers are few, compared to most breeds.

Lizzie
I have to agree with FeatheredFeet above here. I have a Shiba Inu. She is a strong willed girl. A Shiba might also be a good compromise. Smaller. Doesn't bark much and far less risk of scaling walls or escape. A poor dog park candidate, as she has no interest in other dogs. She has no interest outside of her family. She lives with two other dogs and a cat and does fine with her *own* but has zero interest in anything else. Human friendly and dog aloof. A Shiba may have the type of "attitude' you are looking for, in a smaller package.

I've met several Basenjis and they are a breed I am interested in someday in the future. From what I've seen, they are more dog-friendly than my Shiba, though. I wasn't clear on whether you live with other dogs or not? That could be an issue with a Jindo or a Shiba, for that matter. My Shiba is good with unknown dogs that leave her alone, but that is her desire --- that they leave her alone. I am not sure, but from things I've read, the Jindo might be more prone to DA.

Best of luck in your search.!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.