Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog will pull like she is trying to get out of her collar. She will turn around to face me, then yank hard in the other direction to the point she is choking herself and she is jumping on her hind legs.

Mostly she does this during her walk, if she is trying to get to some food someone left, that I won't let her get. Any tips on preventing this? I've tried walking away, but it is very difficult when she does this.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Get a martingale collar, it tightens without choking, once you adjust it correctly. Once the dog can't escape, you can work on the training part. People here can suggest some good videos for that.

I'm on my kindle and typing is difficult...sorry for not giving you more details on the collar or videos.

Stormy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a martingale collar, it tightens without choking, once you adjust it correctly. Once the dog can't escape, you can work on the training part. People here can suggest some good videos for that.
I actually use a Martingale collar. I got it b/c she actually backed out of a regular collar and escaped once.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I like using a harness because they can't get out of them and it doesn't choke them.
I second the harness, though Samantha has managed to back out of her harness too. I never let her get into a position where she can pull back hard, I just put some upward tension on her harness and she can't get out of it. That has only happened a couple of times, and neither were recent. She really doesn't even try to get out of it any more, this occurred a number of years ago, when she was not that far out of puppyhood.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I second the harness, though Samantha has managed to back out of her harness too. I never let her get into a position where she can pull back hard, I just put some upward tension on her harness and she can't get out of it. That has only happened a couple of times, and neither were recent. She really doesn't even try to get out of it any more, this occurred a number of years ago, when she was not that far out of puppyhood.
That has not happened since I bought the freedom harness for both my dogs. The regular one my smaller dog could back out of. I think the freedom fits better and is sturdier.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'd try using a harness specifically made for escape-artists.
Dogs that pull a lot shouldn't be on a collar outside of leash-training anyway, in my opinion. It's not good for their neck and they can hurt themself badly with pulling.

Reactions: Cynna

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
$59.96?!? Have any recommendations that won't break the bank?lol
This one . Bri doesn't mind it, it fits great and you have the possibilities to attach the leash to work with LLW. The only drawback for me is, that is doesn't have a buckle for the neck and it needs to be slipped over the dogs head.
By the way, this is the earlier recommended Front Range Harness from Ruffwear.

The thing with breaking the bank: Don't only look at the price, but also the durability. A good harness, fitted correctly can hold up a long time (depending on your dog as well :) ). I like to invest a little more, but having the things for longer, than spending half the amount, but needing to buy a new own a couple of times a year (makes it more expensive in the long run).

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This one . Bri doesn't mind it, it fits great and you have the possibilities to attach the leash to work with LLW. The only drawback for me is, that is doesn't have a buckle for the neck and it needs to be slipped over the dogs head.
By the way, this is the earlier recommended Front Range Harness from Ruffwear.

The thing with breaking the bank: Don't only look at the price, but also the durability. A good harness, fitted correctly can hold up a long time (depending on your dog as well :) ). I like to invest a little more, but having the things for longer, than spending half the amount, but needing to buy a new own a couple of times a year (makes it more expensive in the long run).
Yeah I was thinking I might have to go ahead and go for the expensive option. She's a pretty smart dog, she was able to get out of an e-collar once.However I'm also afraid after figuring out what it does, she may refuse to walk with it on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I second the Ruffwear Webmaster! I've put mine through the ringer (well...my pup has) the last 9 months and it's still in fabulous condition. She's never managed to escape it (and she's weird build that makes it relatively easy for her to get out of other harnesses/collars).

The initial cost was painful but I don't regret it for a second now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use the gentle leader front attaching harness combines with a regular collar that's half choke chain, not sure what they're called. But I attach the chain to the harness with the leash. No escape plus the benefits of the no pull harness

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm not sure how big your dog is - if it's huge you might need something else - but I have a very strong and willful terrier mix and the only harness that she hasn't come out of is this one: Amazon.com : Coastal Pet Products #14945 1 Inch Wide x 38 Inch Soy Comfort Harness - Olive Green : Pet Halter Harnesses : Pet Supplies.

It's soy so it's super soft and strong (I got the matching leash for both reasons too). But what I love the most is how adjustable it is, with 4 adjustable straps so your dog won't be able to get out. It's also a step-in style - lay it on the floor and just set her paws inside and pull it up to her chest, then one quick snap-in buckle. The leash goes through two metal rings so it's extra secure.

When we got our second dog he came with a pricey harness that pulled over his head, but after a couple weeks of it we got him his own soy harness - so much easier to put on and no worries of him escaping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I found a harness that is similar to the Ruffwear harness but a little cheaper called "Truelove pet harness"on Amazon. Unfortunately it was the wrong size and I have to exchange it for a larger one.

Of course I just found out I won't be fully refunded and if I get a new one I'll basically be paying the same price I would have if I got the Ruffwear harness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts