Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two boys have started puking the last few days, and I'm wondering if it's something that Chi's do often?
They started off with puking whole food, then just bile.
They are with me (literally) 24/7 so I know they haven't gotten into anythign bad outside. We don't set out any sort of poision for wild animals. The only odd thing they eat is horse poo now and then.
They aren't consistantly puking... Maybe once or twice, nothing for a day or two, then more puking.
I'm getting worried and am making a vet appointment, but just wondering if it's something that the breed does a lot?

TIA! :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
that isn't normal for any breed of dog....definately a trip to the vet ASAP is a good idea....this could be very very serious....
can't think of any causes off the top of my head from your description...you might want to think about this stuff....how are they otherwise? do they seem perky/lethargic, do the still have good appetites? do they come into contact with other dogs often? have you changed their food lately? what do you feed them, including any treats?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
My chi's don't vomit but I have other dogs who do and it is due to eating too much grass... I would keep them from eating horse poo...that can definitely make them sick..any fecal matter can make an animal sick and especially considering horses eat completely different things that dogs do it could be a cause for the tummy upset. I would contact your vet either way and discuss it with him/her.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Nope not normal-a vet appointment is great. If they have access to horse poo my guess is they have visited a barn..What about mice poop-or even a mouse left by a barn cat?

Horse poop is for some reason a doggie delicacy. My dog loves rabbit poop and it's literally made from the same ingredients.

I doubt the horse poop would cause an upset-unless the horses have parasites -BUT and it's a big but, horses are generally on really strict worming schedules so that's unlikely too.

Please let us know how it goes at the vets!

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.
Mikey, I'm a horse breeder myself - I own 25 horses. All are kept up-to-date on deworming and I only have the two stallions at home right now so there's definitely no worms for them to eat.
All our cats make sure there's no mice around.

Other than the occassional vomit, they seem fine. They still got TONS of energy (Jake and our JRT were just out ripping it up in the front yard). They're playing, eating, drinking... It's odd.
I'm think it could be because they are eating too much, too fast?
They do like.. Wolf down their food, so to speak. Maybe?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Thanks everyone.
Mikey, I'm a horse breeder myself - I own 25 horses. All are kept up-to-date on deworming and I only have the two stallions at home right now so there's definitely no worms for them to eat.
All our cats make sure there's no mice around.

Other than the occassional vomit, they seem fine. They still got TONS of energy (Jake and our JRT were just out ripping it up in the front yard). They're playing, eating, drinking... It's odd.
I'm think it could be because they are eating too much, too fast?
They do like.. Wolf down their food, so to speak. Maybe?
If they are scarfing down their food then slow down the feeding or scatter the food around on the floor. They should not be vomiting often at all, I still recommend contacting your vet

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I agree-I'd still have the vet check ;)

OT-what breed of horse do you breed? I love nice studs-do you have pics of your stallions?

There are lots of horse people on here too :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Couple of thoughts I had

was do they have food down all the time or are they on scheduled meals? If so, how often? I have had dogs that would vomit occassionally and vomit phlegm if their stomachs were empty for too long. Do they have any history of hypoglycemia? Have you changed anything about their diet? All things to tell the vet.

My Brussels was a super hypoglycemic puppy and now, years later tends to do more refluxing than vomiting and she gets a tums often to help with it along with small frequent meals.​

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks everyone.
I also have horses and bring my dog out to the barn with me and I was worried about him ingesting worms as well. I recently found out in my horse management class from a parasitologist that dogs actually can't get worms from horses. Apparently parasites are too picky to travel from equine to canine, they're even too picky to travel from equine to bovine! They are species specific, and although they may have the same or similar names they are actually not the same EXACT thing. I was fascinated by this and thought I'd pass it along.

On another note, my dog was having similar problems several months ago and I brought a trick over from the horse world. I fed him plain yogurt once or twice a day until he stopped throwing up. I called the vet beforehand and they actually said it would be a good idea and that I didn't need to bring him in. I would call and run it by your vet too as I am not sure if it is different from breed to breed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts