Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all!
I have a Pug (Heisenberg) that is 1 and a half years old. We never had any issue with him before, until now.

I am having a hard time with Heisenberg at the moment, as suddenly he is "scared" of eating his food. We feed him twice a day (8am/8pm) and he was always super excited for food time or even the noise of his food bag etc. Really, he loves food more than anything else.

But now he just looks at it while we are filling his bowl and he seems scared and moves away from it. He eventually eats it, but there were times he would only start eating his breakfast almost at dinner time.

I think somehow this fear came from the fact that he might be relating the act of eating food, with the idea of being left behind at home, as I was used to feed him right before leaving home to work. The only thing I don't understand is why only now - after more than a year - he would finally relate those two things and be scared about it. :(

So, we are trying to figure out a way to revert this and I was wondering if anyone else here in the group had faced the same situation before.
We are feeding him the same food he always had (Royal Canin - Pug Adult); we tried changing bows, as we also tried serving it on the floor. If we add just a little bit of tuna or chicken on top of it, he would start eating a little bit, but would leave some of his dog food behind afterwards. I don't want to keep doing this tho, because I don't want it to turn into a habit. He still reacts quite well with treats or anything else. It is just his "food time" idea that scares him out. Overall, he seems alright. Have loads of energy and seems the same dog as always. (Although I do feel that he looks a little bit sad, but my partner and anyone else who sees him disagrees with me, so I might just be being paranoid).

I am planning to bring him to the vet if he definitely don't touch his food on the next couple days, but as I said, he eventually always eats it.

Any suggestions or any tips you guys might have? Sorry for the long message.

Thanks a lot!
-Matt

·
Registered
455 Posts
Maybe check his teeth? It's possible that he may have one hurting him. Has he been having regular bowel movements?
Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest ...maybe others will chime in w some ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I second checking his teeth.

Something in the food, or just eating, may be causing him to feel sick, so if all else fail try changing his food.

Sometimes it's the bowl or something that happened around meal time that can cause them to be afraid, but it sounds like you've tried a new bowl and new feeding place so it's probably not that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts