Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug Puppy Training Advice

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  kmes 
We have had little success with this approach. She has pee'd maybe 4 times and pooped twice outside. All other times it has happened either randomly in a random place, or within her play pen (which is another topic i want to cover). It seems like the only consistent bathroom tendency is when she is put in her play pen if we need to go somewhere and she goes out of separation anxiety.
I would add to that list immediately after meals, and half-1 hr later, and after play. And every 3 hours or so, if it's been that long since last.

I'd stay out there with her until she does go, and reward her like crazy when she does. If you're only taking her out on lead, that could be a bit of a prob - perhaps she doesn't feel comfortable enough to go on lead, or perhaps she's preoccupied with the exploring she's not allowed to do first.

And I'd watch her like a hawk when she's inside, try to catch & interrupt her before - as she's about to go where it's inappropriate. Say uh-uh!, clap your hands or such, to give immediate, unpleasant consequences for her and take her immediately outside.

I'd also teach her some cue that she can give when she wants to go out. My dogs have a bell by the door that they ring when they need.

If she goes in her 'playpen' when you're out, not much you can do about that. You can teach her, via above, not to go in it when you're there, but she already knows it is fine to do it when you're out. Dogs need *instant* feedback to learn stuff. No point in punishing her after you come home. If the playpen is a temporary arrangement, you should be able to teach her not to go inside generally, then when you get rid of the pen, she will hopefully continue. The problem is if she is associating being left alone, rather than the pen, with toilet inside...

Re crating/penning, yeah, you need somewhere to confine her, but you don't want it to be stressful. Like 'controlled crying' & so called 'sleep training' techniques for babies/children, I believe just leaving them to cry is not generally the best - the dog/child learns 'helplessness' and often becomes more anxious, regardless of whether it also learns crying is pointless. It's often taken to extreme & can cause a lot more stress.

BUT of course, the dog also needs to learn that it won't get them their own way. So I would start out being there with her, acknowledging her & her upsettedness, but not letting her out, or actively playing with her, unless she's quiet. And ensuring you DO let her out when she's quiet - even if it's only a temporary respite. Once she learns that's the way to go, then you can 'up the ante' & not let her out straight away, not be present with her, etc. Just 'build' on your strong foundations gradually. Don't expect too much of a new, 8 week old baby.

Last topic. In the book it mentioned having them tethered to you at all times to establish dominance.
I strongly disagree with the 'dominance theory' of training. So on that note, I completely disagree with doing that.

But many do it to control the dog. I also wouldn't want to have the dog always tethered to me, for practical reasons, as well as it giving her no time to herself(aside from when she's locked up. I think close supervision is vital, but also some freedom, so she can learn what she should/should not do. Otherwise if she never gets the opportunity, it's like trying to teach a child manners & restraint by just keeping the cookie jar well out of reach.

goes on a violent tug of war thrashing session to get off out of her collar.
Yeah, of course, being tethered by the neck is not natural to them, and the innate reaction is to fight it. She just has to learn that this never works, and what does work to get her what she wants, to release the pressure, is to go along with it, on a loose lead, follow a feel... If she has got loose from her collar, she has learned that fighting it works. So you will need to prevent that, and because she's already had 'practice' at this working, she will be more inclined to do it, and do it harder, before she finally gives it up because it never works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.