Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, My name is Jonathan and I own a pug called Cyril.

He is a lovely animal, very playful, and otherwise healthy.

However, throughout the day, and not following any discernable pattern or explanation he has manic fits of rubbing his genitals on the floor, yelping, gnawing at his paws, scratching his underbelly.

When he does this he CANNOT be distracted (with a treat for example), and will carry on doing this for anything between a minute to 20 minutes.

We have been back and forth to the vets with this and have now just come back from the dermatologist who thinks it could either be mites, a bacterial infection, or Exmoor.

I wonder if any of you good people have experienced this behaviour when you have had puppies in the past. I understand Pugs can be a peculiar breed but it would be reassuring to hear if anyone else has seen anything like this.

All 'helpful' comments would be very gratefully received.

Best regards

Jonathan

·
Registered
562 Posts
How old is your puppy? How long has this been going on? Is the area that he's itching red or rashy or the like? Has your vet taken a scraping for testing? What has your vet vet/dermatologist given him to relieve his obvious distress?

I have to admit, I have never heard of "Exmoor" as related to a skin condition. What is that? (The only Exmoor I know of is a park in England...??)

Until your vet can come up with some explanation, you can try to remedy a possible food allergy by changing his food to see if it is a reaction to a particular meat, preservative or other ingredient. What are you feeding him?

Otherwise, could it be an allergy from a particular place he's been? Does the itching happen after being in a certain area in the house or yard?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mhop, thankyou very much for your reply

Puppy is 13 weeks old, we picked him up from the breeder at 11 weeks and it has been happening since then (the breeder has denied that it was happening when they had him). There is no rash or redness, the vet has done a scrape, tested his hair, put him on steroids, the dermatologist has put him on antibiotics and given him a solution to wash with in case it is either mites or a bacterial infection.

All the above providing no improvement, or relieving his distress. Incidentally, my wife corrected me, rather than "Exmoor" as you quite rightly point out, the dermatologist in fact actually said "eczema" as a possible but rare possibility.

We have changed his diet on the dermatologist recommendation from chicken and liver to salmon and potato, all to no effect (except for the fact he doesn't like it as much as his previous food) (Both are dry food)

It doesn't seem to be related to any part of the house either. He will do it in the kitchen, living room, bathroom, the vets surgery or anywhere else, and there seems to be no pattern to it (ie it is no more or less frequent in the morning, daytime or nightime).

The vets are baffled still.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It seems to me that you've done everything that is reasonable at this point, but I'm wondering what the results were from the scraping and/or hair testing? When I had the biopsy done for my youngest when we were dealing with her skin problems, the results came back within a few days. By that point, having exhausted all the help I could get from our local vets, we resorted to the U of I college veterinary school a few hours away from where we live. Their labs were conveniently right there in their building. (If you cannot find answers at your local vets, this might be an option if you have a major college nearby.)

If you've gone grain free, you might also try a limited ingredient diet (LID) too, if you haven't already. Some dogs are extraordinarily sensitive to preservatives, meats and the like, so it might be something of this nature. I have not had to resort to a LID myself, but there are quite a few people in the forums here that have, and can advise to this further, or you can do a search of the forums. There might even be a sticky on it somewhere...

My last thought, and it seems like a long shot, but if there's no redness or obvious signs of irritation, I'm wondering if it is, in fact, a skin disorder. I've just never seen a bacterial, fungal or any other kind of skin problem *without* any signs of irritation on the surface of the skin, besides the obvious signs of distress that your puppy is obviously showing. I don't know pugs at all, so I can't speak to behaviors of the breed, but I wonder about nerves/neurological issues...? Your vets would surely have mentioned it if this were a possibility.

Please let us know what happens! So often we get questions like this and we never know if they were resolved, and I especially like to keep up to date on skin issues in the event they happen in my household. My best wishes to you and Cyril!

·
Registered
4 Posts
He may just be having fun and getting a back scratch. Who doesn't like that? I've had 2 pugs and I believe they did similar when puppies. Does yours spin in circles after wolfing down food? If so, monitor them while eating. Mine ate so fast that she choked and passed out on the 3rd spin. Luckily upon hitting the ground, it jarred the food loose...lol. It's scary though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts