Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a mother of 2 pugs lol.

My male pug is about 10 months old

My female pug is going to be 1 year in November. However.. She has not once gotten a period? Should I be concerned? Is this normal? I have never seen any blood or splatter around the home. Please if someone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
:(:mad::)

I'm quite worried!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Have you taken her to the vet? I know smaller dogs do tend to go into heat a little bit later.

Are you planning on breeding the pugs? Because they are way too young to be breeding. A female should never be bred during her first heat and a male should reach growth maturity before breeding.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I know smaller dogs do tend to go into heat a little bit later.
Actually smaller dogs mature faster and tend to start their heat cycles sooner. I would expect a pug to have their first cycle anywhere from 7-10 months depending on their genetics. Have you consulted with your vet or breeder about this? Do you know when her mom or other female relatives had their first heat cycles. There is also a possiblity that she could have had a silent heat that you missed, again some genetic lines are prone to them and you would need to ask your breeder about it. Do you have any previous experience with canine heat cycles? Sometimes changes can be very subtle and easily missed if the female keeps herself clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts