Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for anybody who has ferrets its really good to share experiences because so much happens to these guys.

Our most recent incident is my baby boy pudge (the biggest and youngest of the group) had a very swollen toe, no nail on it, and it looked black...very scary. We got the peroxide out, cleaned it, most of the black came off and a little bit remained. I knew right away it was blood under the surface.

Yesterday he went to the vet, he did rip out his toe nail, quick and all!!!! but luckily his toe will heal just fine on its own. So today we get to do nail trims on all 12 (since we trimmed his yesterday to keep him from ripping out another one).

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Ferret nails grow SO FAST. I used to feel like I was always trimming nails.

My old ferret...Weasel...stole my ex's two way radio and found a nice hole in the wall to put it in....we had to saw open the wall.

Merlin and Weasel never did hurt themselves tho, though they sure did try too.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pudge seems to pull his nails out whenever..it sucks cuz I refuse to pull out all bedding.

Their nails do grow fast holy moly! Not an easy pet to have lol

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol sorry if it came off like my ferret is getting mad and ripping nails out haha I just re-read it. The nails get snagged and are thin so they get pulled out easily just not as bad as the recent one

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get a pic of him soon to show everybody, I wish I had one of him as a baby when we got him, the cutest little f'er I kid you not!!! He came with a solid black guy we named Wolverine LOL They were both super small and Pudge had the most gorgeous face ever. He sprouted like no other!!!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i've always wanted a ferret....didn't want to risk one with a rabbit running around the house though....i keep trying to talk my sister into getting one (we're roommates) so i can play with it but not have to pay for it......

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've always wanted a ferret....didn't want to risk one with a rabbit running around the house though....i keep trying to talk my sister into getting one (we're roommates) so i can play with it but not have to pay for it......

Only thing I can recommend is get 2 and preferably from the same home or litter. Also there are lots of ferrets who need homes because of the economy so check your local craigslist or other sites where they list animals :) But ALWAYS I recommend 2 because they sleep over half the day and if they do wake up when you are not around to play they will get depressed and live shorter lives. :) I do consider myself an expert since I have been through every disease and learned a lot from my vet so feel free to ask anything if you ever do get some!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Only thing I can recommend is get 2 and preferably from the same home or litter. Also there are lots of ferrets who need homes because of the economy so check your local craigslist or other sites where they list animals :) But ALWAYS I recommend 2 because they sleep over half the day and if they do wake up when you are not around to play they will get depressed and live shorter lives. :) I do consider myself an expert since I have been through every disease and learned a lot from my vet so feel free to ask anything if you ever do get some!

Craigslist will flag them here in Ca...Recycler.com will have ads som'times tho, since you can't flag...when I had mine I had to drive to nevada to get them. They were fun little boogers...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Craigslist will flag them here in Ca...Recycler.com will have ads som'times tho, since you can't flag...when I had mine I had to drive to nevada to get them. They were fun little boogers...
They get flagged here when asking for too much, and to be honest, if rescuing you should not spend more than $100 bucks on one or two with a cage and belongings, yes they cost a lot when you buy from the store, but sad to say they lose "value" like cars do once driven off the lot. Its harsh but thats how it works with exotics. Once chick was asking for 400 bucks for 2 ferrets and a 2 story cage and food...I think not! Our humane society takes them in too, I don't know about CA's

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
They get flagged here when asking for too much, and to be honest, if rescuing you should not spend more than $100 bucks on one or two with a cage and belongings, yes they cost a lot when you buy from the store, but sad to say they lose "value" like cars do once driven off the lot. Its harsh but thats how it works with exotics. Once chick was asking for 400 bucks for 2 ferrets and a 2 story cage and food...I think not! Our humane society takes them in too, I don't know about CA's
I agree...around a hundred bucks for a rehome. I have too seen the $400 ads, and always laugh at them

Any relinquished or siezed ferrets are euthanized. They aren't legal here.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree...around a hundred bucks for a rehome. I have too seen the $400 ads, and always laugh at them

Any relinquished or siezed ferrets are euthanized. They aren't legal here.
LOL OMG HAHAHAHA I feel like a complete moron. We actually are on a list of rescuers to come to the AZ/CA border to pick up ferrets people try to take there. WOW can you tell my brain is not always functioning!!!! GEEZ :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts