Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tiny poodle mix (3 lb). She is almost 8 years old. I found her in a field when she was 4 months old. Tried to find the owner, couldn't. So I took her in. She became my baby. She was always a little weird, not super social. She clung to me. Then, 3 years ago, I had my own real baby. Everything changed. She was jealous, I didn't have the same time for her anymore. So she would just stay in her little house all day and mind her business. She will come out if I'm cooking dinner but otherwise stays in her corner of the house. She still gets excited for food, me petting her, etc.

Anyway, fast forward to last night. Both my kids were awake at 4 am so I was trying to see what was going on. I went into the living room and there she was, growling at me! I tried to pet her and she tried to bite me! She ran away from me and pooped while she ran off. She stopped at the corner of the table and turned back to me to growl. Then I tried to get her back to her corner and she tried to bite me again. So I woke my husband up and he managed to catch her in a container and put her back in her cage. She was barking the whole time and tried to bite him too. We left her and she wouldn't stop barking. Then my husband turned the light on and she calmed down a bit. So he went to her and put his hand out. She growled but then let him pet her. I haven't tried to pet her but I checked on her this morning and she ate her food and isn't growling at me anymore.

Does anyone know if these are signs of something? She has always been very calm and quiet. I'm just wondering if she is just pissed that she doesn't get the attention she needs and finally lost it or if there is something really wrong?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Could be anything. UTI causing hallucinations or some other infection. Psychosis: need to rule out delirium 1st. Vet exam required. Try to get a pee sample to take to vet. 8 is a little young for dementia.
Meanwhile- protect family by turning light on and talking to dog if moving around at night n crating dog to contain him safely.
Best of luck its something simple.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Anytime behaviour changes, a visit to the Vet is indicated, to either rule out any medical issue, or diagnose it, if present, and formulate a treatment plan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts