Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wonder if someone could help.
My 9 year old black lab started eating feces about a year ago and through that managed to catch 2 rather nasty tummy bugs ( which none of my other 6 dogs caught even sharing water ) he has lost weight over the last 6 months too. He is now drinking well over double the amount a dog of his size should be drinking so had blood tests yesterday and a urine test.. all came back OK the vet said other than low specific gravity ( as expected with all he drinks ) and borderline for Cushings BUT said they think he has psychogenic Polydipsia so I have now to limit his fluid intake ( wish me luck when I have 6 other dogs!!!) and have another urine test on Friday...... does anyone think maybe with a borderline Cushings test it may actually be that ? anyone's dog have either of these ?
Any help would be great please.
Thanks Katy x

·
Registered
44 Posts
Without knowing exactly what your vet did to get to the "borderline" Cushing's diagnosis, it's difficult to give advice.

My personal opinion is that if the dog's symptoms is consistent with a particular disorder, I'd rather treat the symptoms than withhold treatment because the numbers didn't quite reach some threshold. Dog's don't read standard lab values. I would be highly suspicious if something is borderline and the symptoms match.

Take a look at the link to the VCA Cushings diagnosis page (linked below). There may be more sensitive confirmatory tests like the ACTH stimulation test that can be done to see how your dog's adrenal system is responding.

Cushing's Disease - Testing | VCA Animal Hospitals

1 - 2 of 2 Posts