Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been talking to friends, family, and a service dog, therapy dog training program for months now. I've done all my research on how to train the dog, and if I qualify for a service dog or not.
I have my puppy Bleu, he's a Mastiff, Australian shepherd, Rottweiler, cane corso, and pit bull, along with several other breeds. I have been training him to be my service dog for the last month and he almost has all the basics down.
His tasks I'm training him are, anxiety alerting, medication retrieval, and DPT.
I still need to talk to my doctor or therapist about owning a service dog, But I'm actually really scared of even bringing it up.
What is the process after talking to a doctor about and what do I need to go through.
How should I bring it up with the doctor/ therapist.

· Registered
33 Posts
Personally what I did was make an appointment specifically for talking about adding a service dog to your treatment plan. I made a point of printing off relevant laws and highlighting the relevant parts. I also created a list of symptoms/things I struggled with and paired them with tasks.

My nurse practitioner took a lot of educating, but once she understood she agreed though seemed doubtful. However for reasons outside the service dog issue I have since switched nurses, my new one is more on board with though she also seems more open minded.

· Registered
34 Posts
psychiatric Service Dog

When you’re considering getting a service dog it’s important that you take the time to talk to your medical team. After all, service dogs are medical equipment. You should make a list and include the ways these tasks would help mitigate your disability. For example, a task could be picking up things you drop and it could help mitigate your disability by saving you from having to bend over and causing more pain.After you get to your appointment, I suggest just asking if they agree with your decision and see how they respond. Depending on the doctor and your disability it may simply be a matter of asking.

· Registered
1 Posts
You can book an appointment with your doctor and discuss about your mental health there. He'll let you know if you need PSD or not. You can further ask him for PSD Letter. PSD Letter will let you live with your PSD anywhere you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.