Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the &#^$)!

Wellness (at least the Lamb and Barley kind) has garlic powder in it. Which is of course TOXIC to dogs. Glad I've decided to switch food today. Beyond being overpriced, it has toxic ingredients. Small amounts of garlic, yes, but still. Not cool. Figured I'd give a heads up to all that may feed it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, very true. I still dislike that a supposed "good food" as a known toxic ingredient even in small doses.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's all in the quantities, as with most foods. Huge amounts of garlic, onions and many other common food items are toxic to dogs and humans. The small amounts of garlic found in typical human and dog foods isn't large enough to cause a problem. However, this doesn't stop people from going hysterical about it online.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
just to give you some perspective, vitamin a, d, e are all potentially toxic if given a big enough dose. same with salt and iron... as said it is all about how much garlic...
What does of vit D is toxic? My doctor literally told me I could take a hand full if I forgot because I was low (after bloodwork) so it'd be interesting to see what the other way is...for dogs or humans.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fawkse- Quite true. I don't think I have poisoned him or anything. I am just annoyed by it.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
The toxicity comes from the dose, not the ingredient itself. Garlic in low quantities is very low in toxicity, and can actually provide health benefits. Most medications that you take or may give to your dog are like this as well. In some, it's your body reacting to the toxins that actually provides the intended effect.

I'd be willing to bet that just about any dog food you pick up would have a handful of known toxins in it.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
For garlic, the study used to prove its toxicity, they gave the dogs garlic in amounts equal to or greater than 1/3rd the dog's daily food intake. FOr everything except the smallest of dogs thats a LOT of garlic. And to top it off, NONE OF THE DOGS IN THE STUDY ACTUALLY GOT SICK.

So yah, the tiny amounts used in dog food isn't even close to an issue.

The suppements worry me more cause I figure some idiot will triple or quadruple the dose and potentially cause their dog harm.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
For garlic, the study used to prove its toxicity, they gave the dogs garlic in amounts equal to or greater than 1/3rd the dog's daily food intake. FOr everything except the smallest of dogs thats a LOT of garlic. And to top it off, NONE OF THE DOGS IN THE STUDY ACTUALLY GOT SICK.

So yah, the tiny amounts used in dog food isn't even close to an issue.

The suppements worry me more cause I figure some idiot will triple or quadruple the dose and potentially cause their dog harm.

That's why I never mention garlic when someone asks about natural flea remedies.:rolleyes: I figure I'll get the person who thinks, well if a little bit is good a whole lot must be better.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
What does of vit D is toxic? My doctor literally told me I could take a hand full if I forgot because I was low (after bloodwork) so it'd be interesting to see what the other way is...for dogs or humans.
don't you get Vita D from the sun in normal cases? I don't take a supplement because I am in the sun so much LOL.

on topic, I have never fed wellness because the cost doesn't match the quality of the product.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
don't you get Vita D from the sun in normal cases? I don't take a supplement because I am in the sun so much LOL.

on topic, I have never fed wellness because the cost doesn't match the quality of the product.

Yep, we do get vit D from the sun, the problem is that in winter we often don't spend enough time outside, the sun doesn't shine as strong, and the time we do spend outside we've got our skin covered up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts