Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I just wrote and posted to our neighborhood Nextdoor website.

I urge you guys to copy paste this to your own neighborhood email lists or sites!!

PSA: LOST DOGS and no Collars!!!

Hi all. I keep seeing posts here and other sites for lost/found dogs and many of the dogs are NOT wearing collars or ID tags. Some are not even microchipped. And if they are chipped the owners have not made sure to update with current address/phone numbers as contacts.

This makes it very hard for the people who are finding the lost dogs to reunite the dops quickly and easily with their owners.

Some people simply cannot take in a found dog for a myriad of reasons. Having a collar and proper ID tags makes the process so much easier for the nice people who help these dogs!

Just look at Craigslist Lost Pets ads and you will see SO many pets not wearing collars. It is really irresponsible and unsafe.

And microchipping helps immensely in the case where the dog has slipped out of his/her collar.

You can microchip and get FREE ID tags made at the shelter (AAC) or go pay a tiny fee for the tags at Tomlinsons, Petsmart, Emancipet etc. Well worth the money to get your pet back and keep him/her from being sent to the shelter, right?????

PLEASE folks, keep collars and tags on your dogs AT ALL TIMES! If you give your dog a bath, immediately put your dog's collar on BEFORE he/she goes outside.

There really is no reason to not put a collar and tags on your dog.

Thank you....and please pass this on to your friends who don't put a collar on their beloved dogs!!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It is not always easy to a have collars and tags on your dogs if you have multiple dogs. My dogs play with each other and after having one of them get hung up on another dog's collar grabbing hold of it, my dogs do not have collars on unless they are attached to a leash or when I travel anywhere. I had to weigh which way to go and since my fences are well made and my dogs never attempt to run off, they will not wear collars at home. They are all microchipped.

I know what you mean though and in most cases I certainly agree with you on most dogs wearing collars with ID on them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I wish I could leave my dog's collar on

I know what you mean though and in most cases I certainly agree with you on most dogs wearing collars with ID on them.
I know how you feel.

One of our dogs grabs the other dog by the collar and pulls her around and yanks on the collar until it breaks or comes off. Visualize that...a dog's teeth yanking on another dog's collar hard enough to get it off. Both of my dogs are about 70 pounds. No doubt it's a bad experience for her. In more ways than one.

I heard about a situation where a dog was strangled from that. I agree that collars should be on, but I can't risk my dog's life to keep one on her at home. When I take her out I put a collar on her, but sometimes I forget when I get home and then I find her without a collar again.

My dog is microchipped but I still worry that if she does get lost that it won't be checked.

I need to somehow stop the other dog from yanking on her collar. Anyone have any ideas? I've put bitter apple spray on the collar but haven't had luck.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Hi AthenaLove,

I agree with you on this one. Everyone has a million and one excuses why they don't put a collar on their dog.

Well, guess what? I have seen countless found dogs showing up on Nextdoor posts being rehomed because the dogs didn't have tags or microchips. Many finders in my area absolutely refuse to take dogs to the local shelter. They'll put up a sign or two, and then either keep the dog or give it away.

I always do my best to remind them that they must search for the owners and I circulate the photos and information myself. Without identifying information, the owners are rarely located.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've been dogsitting a lot the past few months and it's amazing to me how many people refuse to have collars and tags on their dogs. Even when leaving them with a dog sitter in their home. My town has a law that every dog must be wearing their license and rabies tag at all times and people still don't do it.
I even ask people to make sure their dogs are wearing their tags when they come here and nope.
My past and present dogs always wear their collars with tags. They'd lose their tags occasionally and I'd replace them immediately.
My dog plays with other dogs and there's collar grabbing. Collars can be leather which breaks or h e elastic which gives. No excuse.
With someone watching your dig, the dog is more likely to be upset and try to run off. Crazy

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
ShadowMom,

These owners won't even use a collar when they send their dogs to a petsitter? That's crazy.

For your own peace of mind, you might want to invest in a cheap collar that you could put on the dogs while they're staying with you. You could have a tag made with your own contact info in case one runs off.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Breakaway collars sound great but how would you stop the other dogs from pulling them off and chewing them up?
My dogs just don't seem to be interested in chewing their collars, the times we've had to go looking for it were out in the bush after a rabbit chase and when they've been left alone in the yard. Both situations when I want the thing to break, they play a bit rough. Doesn't seem like that's a problem with DogFaming's dog or they would already be eating the normal one, I just reckon he'd get bored with pulling it off because he wouldn't be able to drag the other dog.

·
Registered
522 Posts
No collars here unfortunately. The dogs play wildly and I don't want them to choke each other, plus it made the skin dry under the collar too.

Breakaway collars are nice and all, but every time I've used one, my dog (or cat) came back without it at some point anyway.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
No collars here unfortunately. The dogs play wildly and I don't want them to choke each other, plus it made the skin dry under the collar too.

Breakaway collars are nice and all, but every time I've used one, my dog (or cat) came back without it at some point anyway.
That's the point of them, I always have a spare at home. They lose one every year or so. (I've not had success with cats either though, one learned how to rip it off.)

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I assume that all of your dogs have registered microchips.

I have come across many "lost" dogs in the past couple of years. Here's my experience:

3 dogs belonged to neighbors - I was able to alert the owners.
1 dog had a collar with a tag - I called the owner, who immediately picked up her dog.
1 dog had a collar but no tag - The owner saw a sign and got his dog the next morning.

2 dogs - no collars, no microchips - In these two cases, I assisted others who found the dogs. The finders preferred to rehome rather than take the dogs to the local shelter. I did my best to post signs and on-line notices, but the owners were never found.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
But what's the point then? If your pet is lost, there's a good chance the collar will be gone as well anyway.
My dog has either lost them in the yard or when chasing something while supervised, not really times she's at risk of being lost. So the point is that there is still a good chance of her having her ID on, but if she runs into something that could strangle her she'll be fine. I also have a back-up microchip.

In the case I suggested it, a dog is at risk of strangulation and also the normal collar is not staying on. So the point is that by reducing the behavioral reinforcement of being able to drag another dog, the behavior will extinguish and the collar is more likely to stay on. So more of a risk of no ID in the short run, but increasing the likelihood of ID on in the long run.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Typical FB post:

I found two golden retrievers at Santa Ana California .
No chip
no collar
Two males .
Walking together

The post came with a photo of two purebred dogs. It was just posted 15 minutes ago. You would think that the owner of two very expensive dogs would bother to give them some form of identification, wouldn't you?

No excuses. Idiot owners.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sorry but these are excuses. I had my last dog almost twelve years before he died. He wasn't particularly dog friendly but had a few select dog buddies he played rough with. 75-80 pound Akita pitbull. He never once lost his collar and wore it 24/7, he'd freak out if it was taken off for any reason. My guess is he was returned twice to shelters and bounced around thru different shelters so learned that dogs given up to shelters lose their collars along with their homes.

He ran along with me daily while I rode my horse for 30-60 minutes daily most of those years. I rode and showed her at speed doing cross country jumping and galloping so was always conditioning her. So he ran along full speed for an hour to two a day, jumped horse jumps, herded my rebellious young horse when he escaped, tangled occasionally with stubborn horses, other dogs and wildlife, underbrush, the "wild" lol 😂.

Never once did he lose his collar or have any choking issues or problems in twelve years. Not once. Lost his tags a few times but he chewed on them lol.

My current dog is 92.4 pounds as of last night and has been 95 pounds recently. He loves playing very rough with his buddies and has been in a few skirmishes and one serious fight where he got hurt. He loves to grab the collar or harness of the other765 and pull.
I've taken him to the dog park for one to four hours daily and he's played rough within t55 to countless buddies in the three years.
He still has his original collar and just lost his tags for the first time in three years a few weeksl ago.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Typical FB post:

I found two golden retrievers at Santa Ana California .
No chip
no collar
Two males .
Walking together

The post came with a photo of two purebred dogs. It was just posted 15 minutes ago. You would think that the owner of two very expensive dogs would bother to give them some form of identification, wouldn't you?

No excuses. Idiot owners.

First thing I did is give mydog a microchip. Sometimes they move in the body though :(

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Franl27 - Have you asked your vet to check your dog's microchip recently? Your vet should be able to determine if it's moved around.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Recent Nextdoor post:

Lost dog

This is Sampson (name changed). Our daughter is visiting and her dog escaped. He is a sweet and friendly dog; just a little rambunctious. Please contact me if you see him. (phone # here)

Me: I hope Stetson is found soon! Is he wearing a collar with current ID? Is he microchipped? I hope so, as this will bring him home sooner!

Note: The pics the Op posted of the dog had NO collars on!! Some cute dress up clothes/costume, but collar? Zip.

OP: He is chipped. She took his harness off and put him in the backyard to stretch and get a drink after the ride
Thankfully this dog was found by some nice neighbors via Nextdoor. They got lucky. The dog could have easily got run over by a car as they live in the city.

My question? Why no collar and ID? My dogs always have collars on, even if they have their harness on. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Glad the dog is home. I see these cases DAILY now in our city. Sigh.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry but these are excuses.
A couple of posts say "no excuses". You are not alone saying that, and I do understand where that comes from. And I actually agree (in theory). I get very annoyed too if I see a dog without a collar.

I said in my post here that my dog gets her collar pulled off by the other dog in the house. Breakaway collars were suggested, which in theory is great, but once the collar is pulled off it's often chewed and destroyed.

When my dog has a collar on, it is ripped off at least once a week. I did start purchasing cheap collars, but they're not breakaway. I'm trying to file the prongs on the cheap collars to make them pull away without paying the higher cost of a break away collar. Losing one once a year wouldn't be a problem. Losing one once a week is a big problem.

Putting a cheap, replaceable collar on her isn't much of a fix. When the two dogs are outside together for more than just a few minutes the other dog is chasing my dog around and trying to get that collar off.

Every few days I'm out searching the backyard for dog collars. I hate that she ends up without a collar. I've been trying other things that taste bad to discourage the other dog, but so far no success.

A cage muzzle for the other dog would work. :cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts