Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 year old mini dachshund is seriously driving me crazy at this moment. She is healing from a back issue and is on crate rest. She is having laser treatments every three days and is on multiple supplements. The problem is that her behaviors are not aiding in her recovery at all.

I have never had a dog I thought could not be trained, but she is that dog. I started training her in December and it has been a colossal failure. I kept a dog journal the whole time which has revealed to me that I think there are some mental issues with her. I have thought about it in the past but always reverted to the idea that I was simply not training her in a way she could respond to favorably. I no longer think that is the case.

She still barks at every noise. Sleep is not something that I get to enjoy for any extended period of time. If anyone leaves the room and returns a moment later she barks. If she sees a large leaf blowing by in the wind, a cat outside, a squeak on the floor, or as everyone in our household says, if there is a strong wind she barks. It's like she truly forgets who we are momentarily. When my husband gets home she knows his truck yet still barks from the moment he drives in, until he takes his shoes off, fully enters AND someone tells her to quit barking.

The counting of her toys is maddening. She hoards toys and obsesses all day about where they are. At night she will count her toys in her head and when she realizes she forgot something she will obsess about it until she finds it. She will bark at me and whine to me to get it for her , sometimes for days at a time. At these times she does not respond to redirection. Through my journal I can see consistency with not getting these things for her but she still behaves as though I give in and get them for her. It is allllll day.

Currently it has been five days since she has pooped. She won't go if she cannot do the usual find a spot for a long time. While that is normal behavior for dogs, holding it for days isn't, if she doesn't have the opportunity to find the perfect spot. Now that she is not allowed to walk all over to find that spot, she simply won't poop. She is whining for me to allow her to do that but I can't. Now that has extended to peeing. She was peeing fine for the last five days but isn't anymore. I just took her outside in her crate. She refused to pee because she couldn't roam first, I took her out, she stood and whined to tell me she has to find the perfect spot. She didn't go, I brought her in. She whines again. I take her out again, she won't go again. Then she pees in the crate less than five minutes after she was just out. Same thing last night.

It's like she exhibits autistic behaviors. She cannot handle any deviation from a strict routine without exhibiting multiple poor behaviors. She is obsessive about so much. She has chewed the fur from her tail and will revert to that if I am not sitting right beside her. Her separation anxiety is always present. I am home with her all day and she has to be touching me all day. She will whine for me to sit down so she can be touching me. Being in the same room isn't enough. Even when she is sleeping she is on high alert. If I sit beside her, she will still not fully rest. She will rest, bark, rest, bark.

I have never considered any meds for a dog, but I have never had a dog that did not respond favorably to training.

Has anyone her had their dog on some sort of drug like this? Did it make a difference? What sort of process does one go through? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Why can't she roam around and find a spot to pee or poop? If she can't be turned loose (fenced yard) that is one time an extendable leash works well as it gives them a bigger area to search for that perfect spot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is currently undergoing treatment for IVDD (Intervertebral disc disease) very common in Dachshunds. She is on at least four weeks of crate rest. She is not allowed to walk at all. If she walks more than ten feet she immediately declines and loses the use of her back legs again. Walking impedes her recovery and she just started treatment on Monday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.