Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally started reading Control Unleashed and in the beginning it talks a lot about conditioned relaxation and utilizing Dr. Karen Overall's Protocol for Relaxation.

I was very excited to find a copy of this online so I wanted to post it for anyone else who is interested.
http://www.dogdaysnw.com/doc/Protocol_for_Relaxation-_Karen_Overall.pdf

Also, if anyone knows any good exercises, videos, or tips for conditioned relaxation, I'd love to hear them!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I keep meaning to start this with Aayla! She has a pretty dang good stay and relax but I just think it would be a good thing to add.

I also do a lot of capturing calmness everywhere I go. Whenever I'm out and she lays down and just chills she gets a treat 80% of the time. I've done this since she was 8 weeks and I believe it has really done a great job. She just lays down and sleeps at diners, my work, expos and anywhere else I may go. I always have treats on me and always reward her for it.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep meaning to start this with Aayla! She has a pretty dang good stay and relax but I just think it would be a good thing to add.

I also do a lot of capturing calmness everywhere I go. Whenever I'm out and she lays down and just chills she gets a treat 80% of the time. I've done this since she was 8 weeks and I believe it has really done a great job. She just lays down and sleeps at diners, my work, expos and anywhere else I may go. I always have treats on me and always reward her for it.
I hope Delilah will learn to lie down and chill on her own! Whenever we're anywhere but my apartment she's on high alert. When I first got her it was because she was so nervous but now she's looking for things to kill. She's getting so obsessed with lights that she was fixated on the stars when I was walking her last night (ohmygod she started screaming at them; it was so embarrassing)... I've been really interested in CU and also just teaching her to relax and focus in general because it's always been an issue but in some ways it's getting worse.

This might be helpful for Overall's relaxation protocol. It's much easier to do this if you have this audio version. :)

MP3 is here:
Relaxation Protocol MP3 Files | Champion of My Heart ... a real-time memoir
That's so incredibly helpful! When I was doing the protocol with Delilah I had to keep giving her breaks so I could go over and read the next steps on my computer. This will make it a lot easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.