Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Shane I have a 3 year old Weimaraner who is intact still, we just had our first child 4 months ago. We have also been living with my wife parents for the past 6 months which means that our weimaraner when we are not home, is confined to our bedroom. Lately he has been very territorial of our bedroom when other family members come in, he has lunged/barked/growled/ and gently snapped at a few people that entered the room, immediately he realizes that it was wrong of him. He also tends to get in between someone who wants to visit with our son and tries to get the attention which i am assuming is jealousy/protection sometimes after giving him attention he is okay with them continuing to my son but other times he doesn’t let them get close to my son, I am just running out of patience with him and really need some guidance on what I can do I absolutely don’t want someone to get hurt and have to get rid of him.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I just have a couple of questions. How much exercise is he getting and how long is he in your bedroom for? How to do you correct him/ what do you do when he snaps/growls/is pushy with attention? Is this for the most part new behavior or has he done this before?

I also might recommend looking into a class. I know there are some trainers that offer classes/seminars about dealing with a baby/children and a dog, and how to make sure all interactions are safe and positive.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with the above commenter. Does your dog receive receive less exercise and mental stimulation now that the baby is here and everyone in the house is busier?

Dogs who don't get enough exercise or mental stimulation will act out, and a weimeraner is a high energy breed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's new behavior since my son has been born although he shows no aggression to the baby he honestly gets more exercise now since the baby was born than before the baby was born also we have a trainer doing s home eval next week so we will see what he says

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.