Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I have a wonderful red-tri BC (Border Collie). He is getting on in years, so I would like to get a new puppy. I'm thinking another BC, or an Aussie (Australian Shepherd), or a Toller (Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Ret). My BC has had a lot of allergy problems living in FL. This is my concern about getting another BC. I think maybe an Aussie might also have allergies living in FL. Tollers love water, but I live 12 miles from any good beach or safe place for a dog to swim. They also cost a lot more to begin with, like $1500. I got my BC from a shelter for a nominal fee. But, if I want another red-tri, which is my first choice, I will have to travel to get him/her and spend several hundred $. PetFinder.com has a lot of BC & Aussie mixes, but I don't want a mutt. I would never find a breed like a toller on PetFinder.

A dog park is necessary to dissipate the youthful energy a BC or Aussie has. I have one just a few blocks away. Either way, I will be taking any new dog I get to the dog park everyday.

I have wondered about getting a male dog and breeding him. But, have gotten so much flak about this suggestion, that I'm not sure it is a good idea. I'm told neutered male dogs live longer and are better behaved. Not sure what I would do with the pick of a litter anyway. It is just that my current dog turned out so good, I would have liked to breed him.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. On which type to get. I want a cute looking doggy, that weighs 45 to 50 lbs.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Well, you have an BC already, so what are the traits you particularly enjoy about him?

I have a BC and an Aussie, and I can tell you they are fairly similar in their exercise, training, and grooming requirements. My BC sheds less than my Aussie because she is almost a smoothie. Border Collies come in a super wide range of sizes, so you might get one in the 50 pound range, but mine is full grown and is 30 pounds.

I will argue that a dog park is not a necessity, especially because most of the BCs I meet and know are not super keen to have non-herding breed friends, my Aussie never met a stranger. :p

I don't have much experience with Tollers, other than Levi had one in two of his puppy classes. They seem like nice dogs, other than their scream. XD

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.