Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 9 month old spayed female Boxer puppy, and she's quite awesome, very good with kids and with other dogs. I've been thinking of getting another puppy (not now though, after the semester ends this June, so I can take care of her). And I want to know the pros and cons of having a second dog before I actually go and get one so I'll know what I'm in for, and if we can manage it. The dogs are gonna be alone from 7 AM till 1 PM or 2 PM. so, my question is, what are the pros and cons of having a second dog (other than the obvious more expenses that is)? or any information about owning 2 dogs together would be helpful (do I have to deal with double the destruction? would they share toys (in most cases I mean, obviously, not the extreme cases where one would be guarding and such)? I dunno, anything that would prepare me to what to come.), Any info from those with experience with owning 2 or more dogs at the same time would be highly appreciated :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
It could go either way..

first question you should ask yourself...do you consider your first dog "complete?"....any unresolved behavior problems you may have will just be magnified with a second dog... make sure you have a well mannered dog already because it will be a role model for the new dog.

I have 5 dogs...I find that the newest dog learns faster with the other role models around....as far as sharing toys...its a good idea to closely monitor them with toys for the first few months...they might bicker when they are new to each other but not later after a friendship is there....

what type of dog did you have in mind? Another boxer? and adult? a pup? :)

Going from one dog to two is hard at first....going from two to three is a breeze ;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I came across this the other day, really good info and some case studies. According to this you will want to get a less or more submissive dog than you currently have. I have read on other pages that 2 females are more likely to constantly fight for dominance.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I came across this the other day, really good info and some case studies. According to this you will want to get a less or more submissive dog than you currently have. I have read on other pages that 2 females are more likely to constantly fight for dominance.

This is a long long long held myth. It depends on the two induvidual animals. Period. Even if you believe in dominance theory (which alot of people dont) you would in theory have to have two dogs trying to be in charge. Even people who buy dominance threory agree that MOST dogs have NO interest in being in charge and even if they do it is easily remedied with simple rules and training.

Your dogs getting along will depend on their personalities and the amount of time and training you put in ....not gender.

I own four bitches including a power breed. There is no fighting.

ETA: dog breed info. com is not a reputable site for training advice. They go on and on about alpha this and alpha that... red flags...run far away.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, so far there's no behavior problem with my dog, she's really great, i just need to train her a bit more with the watch me and the come commands and she'll be the best dog in the neighborhood :D
What exactly do you mean learns faster? as in the commands? or faster house training?
Well, I don't have one breed in mind, but several breeds that seem suitable: Boxer, Bullmastiff, Dogue De Bordeaux, Rottweiler, Akita, Golden Retriever, or a German Shepherd, but I'm open to suggestions (we live in an apartment, only me, mom, and Lucky (the Boxer), dogs would get around 2 hours of walk each day (1 hour in the morning, and one hour in the evening), and there's a piece of land around here that doesn't belong to anyone where we let our dogs run free in it and play together) I'm aiming for a male dog this time. I was planning to the local pound first, and see if I like any of the dogs there, and if not, I'll go to a breeder. I've heard though that if I adopt an adult dog from a pound, there will probably be dog on dog agression problems, is this true? I know that I should let the dogs meet at a nuetral place first, so that the guarding instinct won't kick in.

What do you mean when you say it's gonna be hard at first? in what way?

And I hope you don't mind me asking, but could you explain more about what you mean that they go on and on about alpha? I mean, shouldn't we be the alpha to the dogs? or do you mean the whole "this breed is more dominant than that breed, and this breed is vey dominant" thing isn't true, and it depends on the particular animal?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, we have always owned two dogs and always a male and a female except for this time where we acquired a female as a companion for our almost 17 y/o female JR. They are getting along fine. No problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Adopting an adult dog from the pound does not automatically mean that the dog is going to be dog aggressive. Most shelters will allow you to bring your current dog up and meet with the dog you are considering adopting, which is a good idea to see how they might interact with each other. Please keep in mind that a lot of shelter dogs do not get the proper amount of exercise each day and might seem a little hyper at first and can calm down in a home environment. I would however try to match the new dog to your current dogs energy level, this will help ensure that they don't drive each other crazy because one wants to play while the other doesn't.

It's hard with a 2nd dog at first because the new dog as to get used to the house rules and routine and settle into their new home. At the same time your current dog will be getting acclimated to sharing their space with the new family member. A 2nd dog will generally pick up things faster because not only will you be training it, but your current dog will be as well. It will observe and copy your current dog in a way.

The decision to get a 2nd dog is one that only you can make, it's not for everybody but works great for a lot of people. Best of luck on your decision and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I only recently acquired a second dog, so I won't say I'm an expert on it, but my views on it:
My previous dog, Dazy, is six, and a little lazy. She's been an only dog since we picked her up. The new dog, Moco, is 2 months and a very high energy dog from the pound.
Pros:
- Dazy is definitely getting more exercise. haha All of their playing really takes the edge off Moco's hyperactivity, too.
- Neither of them is ever alone, so I don't have to worry about them being lonely at home.
- Dazy has always been well behaved and friendly with those she knows, and Moco... well, she's getting there. ^^;
- Housetraining is easier. If I send Moco outside alone, she goes in the yard and chases leaves or drags around sticks for an hour before she actually does her business, but if I send her out with Dazy, she follows Dazy's example, then comes to the door, barks once, and sits until I let them back in.

Cons:
- All the obvious things: Twice the bills, twice the work to keep them exercised, twice the food, and twice the trouble.
- If the dogs are on different diets (i.e. diet food and puppy food, like we have) there's the issue of making sure the right dog eats the right food.
- All those basic house rules you taught your first dog? Get ready to teach it all over again, this time to a dog that may not learn as quickly or the same way as your first dog.
- If you go on vacation and take your dogs, that's twice the doggie luggage; if you have someone babysit, you have to find someone willing to take on two dogs, rather than just one.
- My first dog, Dazy, is very bonded with us. The prescence of the new dog makes her very jealous at times, and I have make sure I'm giving them equal amounts of attention at all times.

That's all I can think of right now, but myself, I love having two dogs. They're

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About adopting a dog from a pound, if I see that they got together well, can I be sure that they'll also not fight when I'm not there? and yeah, obviously I'm gonna try to match as much as possible, that's why I'm looking mostly at low level energy dogs, Boxers are lazy when they become adults.
I'm prepared for the added expenses and training the new dog. I don't think it's gonna be double the exercise though, since I'm gonna walk them together, and play with them together, plus I'm hoping they'd play together, which would further drain their energy.

Thanks for the input people :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think it depends on the dog that is introduced to the household. Many years ago, we acquired a Poodle X which was the runt of the litter. It needed a lot of care and a lot of love and we gave both. When she was about 7 yrs, our youngest daughter wanted her own dog and she chose a male Pomeranian (the cutest dog ever). It was only 12 weeks old but already very assertive. He dominated the Poodle who had decided she wanted nothing to do with him. The only things she taught him (and we think this was deliberate to land him in trouble), was to bark at passers by -something she never used to do. She would start barking and then retrieve and let him get caught.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rofl, your Poodle is a bitch.

Well, anyhow, I won't be getting another dog anytime soon, as my Boxer has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia and would probably need an operation (we're still waiting for the surgeon doctor to see if she needs one), which would be a blow to us financially so we're putting getting a second dog for a year or two now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, it depends on if your planning on getting a male or female. If you get a male, they will be more protective of their territory and tend to mark all around the house. (Trust me, it is a pain in the butt) But getting another girl will actually be good for your older dog because it's never good for a dog to be alone, and after about a week I can almost assure you they will get along great!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Poor little Lucky! How did this happen? Over exercise? Please let us know what has been decided. He is sooooo cute!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 2 previous dogs (standard poodle and bullmastiff) were males, so I'm fairly used to that, lol, and my girl is still a puppy, lol, she's 10 months old, but like I said, we're putting it off for a year or two.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Mimi: It's not really possible to over exercise a boxer, lol. She was born with it, but it only became apparant when she got heavier (over 18kg, she's now 25kg). She still runs a lot though, and my vet told me I should continue to take her for walks and jogs if she doesn't resist, in fact, she doesn't seem to mind it at all, she hardly limps.I'm supposed to go see the vet in 2 weeks, so we'll see what happens. (he wants to get the opinion of another doctor, which will also be the one performing the operation if she needs one, he's supposed to be the best in the country, so I'm hoping for the best)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts