Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello every one. I have a labrador puppy and I am feeding him with the reccommended ration of purina Proplan for puppies. It says that one should give him 56grm of food for day. I`m really not sure if it´s enough for my 5kg- 8 weeks labrador puppy. Any oppinions?

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
56 grams? (grm = grams?)? 28 grams per ounce, that means less than 2 ounces. I think somewhere there is confusion. There is no way they are recommending 2 ounces of food for a 5 kilogram/ 10 pound pup. My guess is some problem with the units we are talking about.

A pup that size should probably eat about a couple of cups total per day, divided up into about 3 meals.

Basically you want to adjust the food according to the pup's body condition. He should neither be too fat nor too skinny. You want a nice flexible, healthy feeling skin, with a wee bit of padding over the ribs, but you should be able to feel his ribs and hip bones with your fingers without having to dig for them.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Hello every one. I have a labrador puppy and I am feeding him with the reccommended ration of purina Proplan for puppies. It says that one should give him 56grm of food for day. I`m really not sure if it´s enough for my 5kg- 8 weeks labrador puppy. Any oppinions?
I would recommend you changing the food proplan has MENADIONE SODIUM BISULFITE COMPLEX (SOURCE OF VITAMIN K ACTIVITY) in their food and that is known to cause serious health issues. check into brands like wellness. blue buffalo and any other puppy food that uses a natural source of vitamin k. there are many reasons to not use brands like Purina, Iams or Science diet but this is just one. Plus that is not enough food.

Here is a list of negative effects of menadione on the body. It is incomplete, since my English medical terminology is lacking and I was simply not able to translate the more complicated scientific phrases into proper English:

causes cytotoxicity in liver cells
causes formation of radicals from enzymes of leucocytes, with the consequence of cytotoxic reactions
considerably weakens the immune system
possible mutagenic effects
damages the natural vitamin K cycle
has no effect on coumarin derivatives, which are often present in commercial food due to mold contamination (toxic when ingested)
causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia, not just linked to large doses
disturbs the level of calcium ions (Ca2+) in the body, which is an important factor fibrinolysis
is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K
builds up in tissue and has been detected in eggs, meat and milk of animals supplemented with menadione derivatives
causes irritation of skin and mucous membranes
causes allergic reactions and eczema

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@tess, It´s 56 grams divided into 3 meals. the recommended feeding table on the proplan web starts at dogs with 23 kg/50 lb and recommend daily 71 - 159 g for a dog up to 3 months (Large Breed Formula - Products - Purina Pro Plan) and the table on the package 56 gr per day. So, should I follow my instincs and start to give him some more? the dog doesn´t look skinny.. Thanks a lot for your replies!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Clooney, I think your instincts are better than the table.

I just got out my scale, and some kibble and measured out 56 grams. The volume of that is about 1/2 cup (which we Americans will recognize). Dividing 1/2 cup into 3 meals for a robust Lab puppy is not nearly enough food!

In my experience, a puppy that size should get about 1/2 cup 3 times a day, maybe more. A growing puppy needs a lot of food!

I also would add my caution about Pro Plan. Its not the best food out there. I'm not sure what foods are available where ever you are, but if you would be interested in changing foods, there is good information on some of our threads here about what to look for in the way of ingredients.

Good luck, and do let us know how the little guy is doing!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
You know what, I think we are having a communication issue. (divided by 3 versus times 3?) I just looked at the table, and it says your puppy should get 2/3 to 1.5 cups over the entire day, which is exactly what I am saying.
( up to 159 grams over the entire day)

I'd also say you might readjust in your mind what size your puppy will be... he may be closer to 75 pounds (34 kg) as an adult, which means he may need 3/4 to 2.25 cups per day. (up to 239 grams per day)

So I think the chart is just fine. Its interpreting the chart, or talking about what it means, that we are struggling with.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I think you defiantly need to increase the amount...

Standard height for mature males is 22½ to 24½ inches and for mature females, 21½ to 23½ inches. A correctly built Labrador Retriever male in working condition should weigh between 65 and 80 pounds and a female should weigh between 55 and 70 pounds.
Going by that... you pup needs...
1-1/2 to 3 months
3/4 - 2-1/4 cups
80 - 239 g

If it were my puppy I would feed not less than Morning-3/4 cups Mid day- 3/4 cups and dinner 3/4 cups...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone!, I`ll go with my instinc and with your advice, And I`ll start giving him 1.5 cups daily. I´ll let you know how it went. Best regards!

Another thing, I´ll get a list of available brands here in Bogota Colombia and I´ll will ask for your advice again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.