Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An acquaintance of mine from college called me one day to say that her Pit Bull mom had puppies by a Golden Retriever mix. After only having the puppies for two days, she had smothered all but three puppies. :( I breed Yorkies so I gladly took the runt of the three and called another breeder to take in the other two. We named him Luda!
My question is, now that I am hand raising him, he seems to always have very runny poops. Is that normal? Am I not giving him enough formula in his bottle? I took him to the vet for a check up and they said everything is fine but I'm not sure why his poop isn't firm...should I be concerned?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
If you are feeding a commercial puppy mild reconstituted powder you may have trouble with getting the puppy to thrive.

Here is everything you need to know about bottle feeding puppies. I know several people who have used this method to good results. There is a recipe for an excellent puppy replacer milk if you scroll down a ways. It is far superior to the powder.

Leerburg | Bottle Feeding Puppies

Young puppies don't have solid poop like an adult dog, but the consistency and color IS important to note.

You have taken on a huge task, and for success, you really need to become an expert in a hurry. Puppies are notorious for not gaining weight when hand fed. Experienced puppy raisers weigh the puppies twice a day and make constant adjustments to their feeding routine and composition of the formula accordingly

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
sorry... "mild" should read "milk"!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, but they have never been super runny like this! my past newborns had at least a little definition to their stool, but it Luda has liquid poop all the time...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TESS~ thank you so much, tons of great insight! He's been gaining weight, thankfully, so we don't seem to have a problem there but the website you posted helped a ton!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
TESS~ thank you so much, tons of great insight! He's been gaining weight, thankfully, so we don't seem to have a problem there but the website you posted helped a ton!

Glad you found it useful.

I've heard from people who have used the puppy milk recipe that they can "adjust" the consistency of the puppy poo by adjusting the consistency of the recipe... that is they can "thin out" the milk a bit if the puppy is too constipated. It seems that this recipe tends to be a bit thick.

It may be that the milk replacer you've been using is not totally digestible to this puppy and that is why the poop is so runny. Milk replacers, after-all, are a poor substitute for the real thing, and I've also heard the powdered ones you get from vets or stores are just not optimal. That fresh recipe is reported to be much more digestible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts