Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
let me start off first with a little background about my dog, Molly.
Molly is about Nine years old, I know, shes definitely not a young girl anymore.
Well three years ago, she accidentally got pregnant by a neighboring dog. In which, it did not go well...

She ended up with three very deformed dead puppies and had a hard labor through out it. Ended up trying to hide one of the puppies to eat it. Anyways, it was traumatizing for both of us. Because of this, I have kept a better eye on her but it seems that wasnt enough.

It looks like the neighboring dog got to her again, because she is pregnant once more.

Now that she is older, I worry about a lot of things. I would like her to give birth to at least one healthy alive puppy. I know Molly doesnt have much longer and I would like to have one of her pups to keep in remembrance of her. Do to her history with birthing and her age, is this just wishful thinking?

I guess what im asking, is there anything special I can do to at least try to make a healthy pregnancy? Are there supplements I can buy or even just advice in general?

Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
The best thing you can do for her, especially given her age, is take her to the vet.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You need to take her to the VET, An older female has many risks carrying a litter as the ability for the uterus to expand to accomodate the puppies is not good. She should be under the watchful eye of a Vet if you intend to take the risks! Nutrition is very important to a young pregnant bitch, let alone a old one! Feed her a good quality puppy food as it has extra vitamins, minerals, fat, and protein. BUT TAKE HER TO THE VET FOR AN EVALUATION!!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I want to add that if she goes into labor, and is straining, but no puppy is birthed in a 2-3 hour span of time she is in danger....get her to a Vet, she'll need a C-section..........the ability to dilate is poor at her age.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I ditto that last comment. I have done far too many emergency spays on dystocia dogs (trouble with birthing) and not always with good outcomes. Not sure where in the world you are, but in many parts of the the US there are humane societies and other organizations that can spay dogs for free or nearly so if you have don't have the funds for a regular vet visit. I would strongly recommend taking advantage of them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Please take her to a vet and discuss her welfare honestly and with an open mind. I know it would be devastating for you if she died a painful death that could have been prevented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts