Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious on how much money people can typically make grooming dogs, and do most people start out as an apprentice somewhere without experience, or do more people go to an actual dog grooming academy/take classes? I'm sure you'd make more money with an actual license but is it required?

Also, say someone did go out and take the classes and purchased their own tools. Can you just groom out of your own home? :ponder:

I've only worked a bit over a month at my first pet-related job as a kennel assistant but I'd love to build on my skills in this industry.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I was just curious on how much money people can typically make grooming dogs, and do most people start out as an apprentice somewhere without experience, or do more people go to an actual dog grooming academy/take classes? I'm sure you'd make more money with an actual license but is it required?

Also, say someone did go out and take the classes and purchased their own tools. Can you just groom out of your own home? :ponder:

I've only worked a bit over a month at my first pet-related job as a kennel assistant but I'd love to build on my skills in this industry.
My experience may be a bit different then most, because I work in a salon that is owned by a corporation. So everything I mention will be from that and I'm interested to see everyone else's experience. :)

Our groomers make 50% (40% during their probationary period after school) of everything they do. Depending on the area, time of year and other factors they ether make a ton or just their hourly. If they do not make enough commission to pay their hourly rate then they get paid for their hourly rate. I've had groomers go home with 800 in one week during prime times of year. Bathers, (groomers who haven't gone to grooming school) like me, (I chose not to go to grooming school with the corporation because I would have to sign a 2 year full-time contract and I can't work full-time while I work on my degree.) get paid just hourly, but can rely on fairly regular tips.

Our bathers usually come in with no experience, like me, and there is a high turnover rate from people looking for an easy paycheck (Bathing dogs is super easy right?) who inevitably wash out when they realize how physically and mentally demanding this job really is. After you are a bather for at least 3 months and have worked on at least 150 dogs you are eligible for grooming school. But you are only sent if your salon needs another groomer. My salon is only big enough for 6-7 groomers but we hover around 4-5 most of the time. We also have the hours for 4 bathers but for a few months its only been two of us, with me working limited hours because of my other job.

From what I've heard from private grooming salons around the area. Most salons are owned by an experienced groomer who will train any inexperienced groomers who work for them. The school offered from the corporation I work for is the only grooming school I can find in my area so there isn't many options for schooling. I believe in my state the salon must be licensed but the individual groomers do not.

We have a groomer who moonlights by grooming dogs at her home. I do not recommend it, because of the liability if you cut a dog or if a veterinary emergency happens because the dog gets overly stressed.

Hope this helps! I think I touched on everything, but let me know if I missed something!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope this helps! I think I touched on everything, but let me know if I missed something!
You're a big help, as always! So am I understanding this right, your corporation would pay for your schooling as long as you sign the contract?

I assume your hourly rate is adequate enough since you are not pursuing the schooling? I cannot thing of anything else right now, thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
You're a big help, as always! So am I understanding this right, your corporation would pay for your schooling as long as you sign the contract?

I assume your hourly rate is adequate enough since you are not pursuing the schooling? I cannot thing of anything else right now, thanks
Aww you're sweet! :D

Yes they do, but if you quit or get fired in that two year period you owe the entire amount of the grooming school (6,000). Also groomers have to pay for their own equipment. The corporation has an option where they take a chunk out of your check every week for a few months and supply you with some more basic tools, but if you haven't saved up before they send you, you're SOL.

My hourly rate is meh at best. I chose not to pursue the schooling because I don't want to be locked into this company for two years and I know that a degree is going to be more versatile for me then grooming school. I stay at this job because I love it but if I could find another at a private salon that gives us more time to work on each individual dog without breaking my non-compete I would jump on it in a heartbeat!

Reactions: srelizabeth

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Aww you're sweet! :D
My hourly rate is meh at best. I chose not to pursue the schooling because I don't want to be locked into this company for two years and I know that a degree is going to be more versatile for me then grooming school. I stay at this job because I love it but if I could find another at a private salon that gives us more time to work on each individual dog without breaking my non-compete I would jump on it in a heartbeat!
$6,000! :eek: I already have a decent chunk of a student loan out from going for an associates in medical office administration. I am only a couple of classes away from completion, but one class is an *unpaid* internship (who can afford that:eyeroll:) I also started to reevaluate what I want to do with my life... I am SO indecisive!! What degree are you pursuing?

I have to say even though I've only been in the pet industry a short time, it has yet to feel like work. One big thing for me is that I don't have to drag myself out of bed in the morning to go to work anymore, which I did experience frequently working for a security company in an office, despite the great pay. I'm really trying to gather my thoughts/goals on where I am in life. It can be tough!

edit: I also wanted to say I got a good laugh out of your signature, Copper the silver cat.. so adorable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts