Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Housetraining Tyrion is such an uphill battle because of his issues that we've just about given up. (My mom has more than I have, but since he's hers, it seems that's what's happening).

It seems that no matter how often he's taken out, he ends up peeing in the house. Sometimes he can go 4 hours without going, and other times he will pee literally 5-10 minutes after he just went outside. We've tried wee wee pads but he thinks the mat for it is a bed and Stella often ends up stealing the wee wee pads and running through the house with them when she's bored. : | My mom doesn't want to restrict where he can go because she feels bad for him as he "can't help it" and we shouldn't punish him. I believe that half of this is behavioral, but half IS health.

Has anyone ever had any luck with those male dog wraps? Or diapers? Or...anything else? We seriously take this dog out twice as much as any other dog we've had, and he still pees in the house several times a day. I'd appreciate any input.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Silly question, but how long are you taking the dog out for each time? Quick pee or?

Some dogs don't drain their bladder all at once.

Any vet testing to see if any sign of bladder infection or other?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends. Sometimes it's quick sometimes we're out there longer. He originally was diagnosed with diabetes insipidous but then the vet thought those symptoms were just a side effect of his shunt liver. It's possible he still has the DI, but we haven't gotten him tested for it again. The difficult thing is that it's treated with eye drops and he acts like you're trying to murder him if you try to put eye drops in his eyes. Even the vet can't do it. So...he wouldn't get the treatment anyway. :-/ Tyrion is a mill dog so he can have anything and everything wrong with him. It's likely not an infection, just his defective body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts