Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really didn't know what else to title this as but I was wondering if anyone else has problems with being overly possessive of their animals.

I already have a hard enough time knowing my BF is home taking care of Aayla without my supervision. We have very different views on puppy raising. I'm always wanting 100% supervision, no biting hands/clothes, no jumping up, no encouraging over excitable behavior and much more along the lines of trying to shape a calm and happy dog. He loves getting Aayla as excited as she possibly can get in all situations. He holds her in awkward positions until she struggles and lets her go, blows on her face so she bites at his, he has her jump all over him, lets her wander unsupervised, and today started calling her to him when I was working on loose leash walking.

Its driving me up the wall, he is trying to abide by my rules but is very grumpy about it. I'm "ruining" the fun of owning a puppy. I came home last to find my BF and his dad watching TV while Aayla was chewing on her clicker, my shoes had been chewed on and when I got mad his defense was that he didn't notice, which is what I was mad about, he wasn't watching her. I told him that unless he is watching her to have her leashed or in her playpen.

I don't want him training her at all, I don't want him walking her or having people over and letting them do whatever they want with her. I would be a control freak and a horrible person to forbid him to invite people over. Yet I just want him to follow the rules I have for her. I can barely stand his dog's untrained habits, and do not want her to be like Kota at all.

I've always been like this though. I don't want anyone but myself training my dogs/horses. I don't want anyone interacting with them when I'm not present.

That makes me a control freak and a micro manager, but for so long I've had everyone else completely RUIN my training with my animals and I have never been around other people that are willing to follow my rules and know what they are doing. It stresses me out to no end and it is putting an occasional strain on my relationships because that is the one thing I really get bent out of shape on. I get snappy and very passive aggressive. Does anyone else get like this?

· Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one. I do end up having conversations with the BF, he just doesn't understand it, though most of the time he will take what I say and do it. At least when I'm there, lets not get started on my worries about what happens when I'm not there.

He has always had a dog that just hangs out in the backyard with minimal training. He once told me that he thought it was cruel to do training because what animal would like to be forced to do things...We actually had a heated argument on that one. He also takes all of my rules as a direct hit from me saying he is a bad dog owner. So he gets offended because how he wants to interact with Aayla is exactly how he interacts with Kota and I pretty much shut him down telling him that all of that creates bad habits. In the end he is starting to understand my point, but its a long road of trying to change his opinion on dog ownership.

I have a really really hard time standing up for myself and things I believe in. So I think I get really stressed out trying to enforce my rules about the dog because my BF gets so offended. I am so unconfrontational that I typically end up doing whatever to keep the peace. I'm trying to not nitpick at him for everything, but its hard not to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.