Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,468 Posts
Everyone in a multiple person household (or any social life) will feel like this to a degree I guess.

But at some point you need to relax and accept that you cant control EVERYTHING. As frustrating as that is. It`s very hard for me to leave Ella for a few days with someone, but it`s getting easier as I`m working on my fears. At some point you just need to learn to let go and trust life. I`m not saying stop communicating your training preferences to your bf or telling people how to handle your dog, I`m just pointing out that there will always be some situation where you cannot be in control about who is interacting with your dog and you just need to trust and hope that nothing too bad will happen.

Luckily most people are not psychopaths so even if they mess up your cues a little etc or are a bit weird, it`s not the end of the world. Most people actually like animals, are compassionate and caring and even if they don`t follow your strict program, they manage to feed&entertain your dog without accidents.

I once had to leave Ella with a person I know isn`t good with dogs, I had no other choice. And I just sort of told her to "hang on" and that life isn`t all butterflies and peaches. She was fine, nothing bad happened. And that`s the attitude I try to carry (and hope she does too :)).

I also suggest searching how the majority of dogs in some other countries live - it will make you relax a bit. There are millions of dogs living on the streets with no steady food/shelter and they manage. Don`t over think it. They are versatile creatures and a lot smarter/tougher than we often give them credit for.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.