Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
Delilah- Jack Russell x Rat Terrier; Marshmellow- Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
2,841 Posts
Hahaha, significant others always seem to be the biggest obstacle to training!

My bf's the same way, I was very anxious about him interacting with Delilah when we first got her, and still am to some degree. It did get better though. Something that helped was finding a good PR class and making him come along. I thought if he wouldn't listen to me, he might listen to a "professional" and could ask her his questions. And he did get better, he doesn't even yell at her for having accidents anymore and took to clicker training really well!

When we first got her I got so anxious whenever they were home alone because he wouldn't watch her, wouldn't take her out often enough, and she had accidents. I also caught him once after he had made a sandwich and had extra cheese- he wanted to give her some and told her "sit... sit... SIT" without even using a hand signal. Even I was confused. And then he still gave her the cheese when she didn't sit!

He kind of was like the general public- not really into training, expecting her to be like his last dogs, expecting her to automatically know the rules, thinking that he can do whatever he wants and that she should always listen because "he's the human." Unfortunately the last one is still true and she's starting to get snappy with him when he bothers her. I told him he can't do that and he says that he should be able to do whatever he wants with her because she's a dog and he's a human. :mad: Now whenever he complains that she likes me more I tell him it's because I actually respect her.

I'm still a little anxious about leaving them home alone because he still doesn't take her out very often and she has a tiny bladder! Also, if I ever heard that he did anything that I normally do with her like taking her off-leash hiking or introducing her to strange dogs, I would probably freak out. I know that's a little hypocritical but even though she's okay doing those things with me, he doesn't know as much about behavior and training and I'd be worried that something would go wrong.

So yeah, I'm a bit of a control freak too.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.