Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment complex and lately there have been a lot of problems with two other dog owners. One is a man in his mid-sixties who got a 110 lbs German Shepherd mix – that used to live on a farm and never was walked on a leash before. His former owners actually gave him up because they moved and found it impossible to keep him in an apartment. The new owner tries to walk him often but he barely manages to hold on to the leash while the dog drags him wherever he feels like going. The dog already attacked others including my two dogs (8 and 15 lbs) – always apparently waiting behind a corner and then jumping out. I tried to talk to the owner but to no avail. I filed complaints but nothing has happened yet.

The other new dog owners are a couple and about 17 or 18years old. They live with the girl’s mother, don’t go to school, don’t work – so they have a lot of free time yet barely walk their dog. They have a gsd-greyhound-mix and when he gets out, he pulls on the leash like crazy. So they let him off although he has no training whatsoever. He runs into traffic, starts hunting smaller dogs, jumps people, breaks into fenced in yards. It is impossible to talk to the owners because they are either completely incoherent or outright aggressive.

Does anyone here have an idea/solution/ advice on how to cope with these owners? Other then moving? Help is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sounds like a bad situation (and one that I'm very familiar with).
First case you can't really do much about, while annoying, having a dog that pulls is legal. If you talk to the owner, don't be aggressive or complain, try to suggest a solution instead (like a no pull dog harness). The owners probably don't like to be pulled either.
For the second case, I don't know where you live, but there is probably laws against dogs off-leash. Keep complaining to authorities (they won't do anything at first if they are anything like here) but eventually they will to just stop you from complaining.
Sadly, in the end, it's almost always the dog that pays the price for the irresponsible owners:(

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Ditto. Check the local dog laws and your apartment rules. If you have tried to talk to them and suggest training already, you can inform them of the laws/rules they are breaking. If they continue to do so, report them.

Other than that, it's mostly a matter of protecting your own dogs and being super vigilant of your environment and who's out/about.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
It sounds like a real nightmare for you and your dog. I'd probably drive to a different area to walk my dog. It might be a pain in the butt but better than having your dog injured or continually traumatized. If you can't drive somewhere, I'd carry your dog until you got away from the offensive dog owners.

If you have another incident, file a complaint with the police, animal control in your area and with the owner of the apartment building. Put it all in writing, not just a phone call. You might advise the apartment building owner that you're considering taking legal action if these people don't contain and control their dogs. The building owner has some liability concerns and might take action. Good luck and start looking for another place to live. You might even contact a local news station. Sometimes they'll take an interest and do some sort of story. Never underestimate the power of the media to get the authorities involved.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would carry a big stick or umbrella on walks to deter naughty dogs with crappy owners. It will at least afford you and your pups some measure of protection while you try to get someone to take some responsibility.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
:eek: that sounds just terrbile.WHO in their right mind would let an untrained dog loose/into traffic etc?

Try making the owners see that THEY would also benefit from a controlled dog? In a non-judgmental tone?

Depends on what the person is like, but maybe I`d give the old man a no-pull harness as a gift...

If it doesn`t work, document every incident and do as others said previously. Maybe you can get some other neighbours on your side also?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all: Thank you for your advice! It’s very much appreciated.

I’ve tried some already, like suggesting a special harness (even talked about the one I had the best experience with to sneak that info in without judgment), the easiest training against leash-pulling and areas where walking off-leash is allowed, but the answer was either ‘We don’t need that.’ or complete ignorance. And frankly, I’m past being friendly with those owners.

Will take an umbrella with me and see how that goes. And also keep up the filing of complaints. I’m actually looking for a new place to live because it has gotten crazy around here in the last two years. Biting after biting, little dogs torn to shreds while on leash or even being carried by their owners – it is a nightmare. And the authorities do nothing about it.

Carrying my two dogs at the same time wouldn’t leave me a hand to fend of jumping dogs. So that is out of the question. As is throwing treats because both dogs are too fixated to get distracted by that.

Yesterday, we had another incident again and I just about had it. I told the owner the next time his dog gets close to my dogs or me I will maze him. Today the dog was walked on leash and the owners immediately changed to the other side of the street when they saw us. Let’s hope they keep that up.

·
Registered
793 Posts
A black umbrella opened towards a dog tends to send them running. It is like a black hole opening up to devour them. My dogs have nearly had heart attacks when umbrellas were opened in their direction, and they were just standing idly nearby, not running towards them.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
We've been attacked by a GSD that was huge and pulled when aggressive. At first I wanted to stay away from his owner like mad. I was NOT ready for that. Instead, we go visit her (she really does love dogs and is trying) when I have Koda and her dogs aren't around. That way I can chat and suggest things. Her dog hasn't improved much-he really is too much for her imo since aggressive + big enough to pull you without improvement is a bad combination..but she does walk him only on off times, and tries to stick to areas that have enough space for another owner to walk away from. My next goal is to get her to start shouting at people "He's aggressive and needs space please!" rather than "He needs to pee!". That one really threw me in for a loop. She loves him to pieces and it's really saddening that she has a hard time managing him. I've also seen him be VERY aggressive, but he's reactive the same way Koda is for the most part-has a good bite inhibition, from what I can gather from her and other people who's dogs have been attacked by him-there was never any damage. It's really hard to see that when there's a huge dog running to your dog's throat, reactive dogs are NOT easy to watch, fully aggressive or not.

So all my experience to say..I would talk to them as much as possible when you or they do not have your dogs with you. They might start slacking on how close they keep their dogs to you but if you ask more gently and thank them (when you don't have your dog with you) for keeping their distance it might help. Sort of acknowledges that you were upset (even within reason) and helps them feel better about turning around and walking away from the situation, which entices them to do it more often and more calmly.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Instead of walking two dogs together I would walk one dog at a time so I have better control of the situations.

Also ask those 2 other dogowners when they walk their dogs so you can (let them know why and tell them you rather be out of their way) walk yours at a different time or go to other dog parks etc. = avoid exposing your dog to any possibile situations.

Check out your apartment weight limitations on dogs...
Where I am at, most apartments & even town homes or HOA communities do not allow dogs over 100lb. Some complexes only allow up to 60lb I think... So having anything 100lb or more you will need your own house or live out in the country. You have a right as tenent to exert that rule (for habitability for you & your dogs) probably by talking to your management.

Most cities & suburbs do not allow for off leash dogs and have a law on that.
Print that law out and mail it to them... that should scare them a little thinking its the management that send it (better yet, get the management to) especially if its official looking.

And I know how you feel and ITA to all those who suggest carrying something to "defend" your dogs...

No matter how big my baby is, walking him I always carry a monopod and on my keychain a utility knife JICs.
= don't mess with my dog!

And yes, I rather be hurt in his place (so I can sue them even better yet) than have my dog dead or badly hurt. All it takes is that one lawsuit... a hell of a great lessons for anyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The umbrella idea is fantastic. I would go with that as well as avoidance at this point.

Talking to people helps. SOMETIMES> You should certainly always try this first and then a second, maybe third time. The property managers should be the ones that are controlling this problem if they are going to allow pets. Otherwise, they should not allow them.

But when it comes down to it. Any idiot can have a dog. Those of us who ARE responsible and knowledgeable are blessed with the knowledge, but also cursed having to deal with those that don't listen to reason. I have had this problem more times than I cant count.

The worst was a 180 lb great dane mix that attacked my dog. And I don't live in an apartment. THis thing ran out their front door, across the street and hit my dog (who was on a leash) like a freight train.
One emergency vet visit later, they never even paid the bill. And their dog got out multiple times and attacked other dogs too.
(the police took reports but never did anything about it)

Moral of the story? I don't know. But I really hope you don't have to deal with that junk much longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.