Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!
We just recently replaced the carpet and linoleum with laminate wood floors in the main areas of the house, and while two of our three dogs (both female, one is 30 lbs, the other about 40 lbs) have adjusted just fine, our third dog (male, 55-60 lbs) has not. He hugs the walls when he walks, slip and slides, refuses to come indoors, etc. Are there any suggestions on how we could help him adjust to the new floors? He seems miserable :(
Thank you for any and all suggestions!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
I'd put down some rug pieces for the poor dog. This fear can indeed be debilitating for many dogs. The easiest thing is to make him a path from the door to where ever he needs to go.

If you push him, (with lots of verbal encouragement, or even make him go across the floor using a leash) it will likely make the fear worse.
So if you want to help him get over the fear, here is some training help.
Hope this link comes through OK, as I'm having trouble this morning with snow on the satellite dish

Dog Training Tutorial: Training your dog to get over his fears - YouTube

Its a good idea to try trimming his feet, but honestly I don't think it will make much difference. Once a dog has "decided" the floor is slippery and scary, it becomes a mental thing. We once had a dog who slipped on ice on a certain place on the sidewalk. From then on, she was afraid of that place, even in summer.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
The hair and nails are important to keep short for a dog like this. When a dog is unsure of the surface they tend to walk on their nails only. If you can lure him onto the floor just to stand still see if he is tight foot (up on his nails) softly push his foot down so he has traction on his pads. Let him stand on his pad so he can see he will not slip. I have a clients dog that is funny on the wood floor. I just start slow until she relaxes off her nails to her pads then she is fine.

·
Registered
753 Posts
We replaced all our carpet with wood flooring so I know what you mean. Funny thing is our viszla is ok with the wood but the tile in the bathrooms (which is exactly the same as in the kitchen and he's fine with that) scares the hell out of him. I've no idea why, he's odd. He'll go into a bathroom if he can go onto a bathmat. Otherwise he's not entering, no way, no how. So rugs for sure!

Also, makes fetch in the house a sight more dangerous. St Bernard couldn't stop while he was running and slammed into a wall knocking the pictures off. No more fetch in the house!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.