Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a Lab, his name is Dumdum, he's 7 months old, height 52 cm., length 79cm., weight 27 k.g.

He has recently developed a problem, when he's sitting or laying too long he can't get up fast enough as he used to. Even if he manages to get up, his legs shake and he sits again. After few repeated try he can walk normally. He's still very energetic but reluctant to get up and run too often. Nowadays he's preferring playing and chewing by sitting or laying down. He used to jump from floor to bed to sofa to every furniture where he can manage to stand. But he has almost given up the jumping nature and rides the bed and sofa by crawling.

Recently we've visited him to his physician, who has advised to cut down his diet and prescribed him few calcium and vitamin supplements. We don't see much improvement though.

Do you think he's over-weight and he is suffering because of his weight? Or something else?

Thank you all

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Hi,
I have a Lab, his name is Dumdum, he's 7 months old, height 52 cm., length 79cm., weight 27 k.g.

He has recently developed a problem, when he's sitting or laying too long he can't get up fast enough as he used to. Even if he manages to get up, his legs shake and he sits again. After few repeated try he can walk normally. He's still very energetic but reluctant to get up and run too often. Nowadays he's preferring playing and chewing by sitting or laying down. He used to jump from floor to bed to sofa to every furniture where he can manage to stand. But he has almost given up the jumping nature and rides the bed and sofa by crawling.

Recently we've visited him to his physician, who has advised to cut down his diet and prescribed him few calcium and vitamin supplements. We don't see much improvement though.

Do you think he's over-weight and he is suffering because of his weight? Or something else?

Thank you all
I am from the U.S and we do inches/feet/g and I am not good at all with conversions lol. Could you possibly post a picture, it makes it a lot easier to tell overweight or not? I was thinking weight when I was reading your post. It could be weight. Has he lost any since the vet appointment and how long ago was the appointment?

·
Registered
321 Posts
He may have joint problems, possibly arthritis. Although because he's so young, I wouldn't say that it is a high possibility.

Also, I agree with pawz, post a picture. It'll be easier to tell if he's overweight or not.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
definitely cutting back his food should help. Dogs like labs should have a curve going from their chest up to their under belly. I would look up photos of labs and check out the side views so you know what the dog needs to look like. Weight loss should help :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for delayed reply. And thank you guys for your reply.

He has given ready made dog food four times along with meat and vegetables. And some fruits sometimes in between.

I've recently cut his food down in three times and also in quantity, stopped giving meat. And taking through rigorous exercise. He seems to loose some weight. And seems to moving towards improvement.

Thank you all again, your suggestion helped me a lot :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts