Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a six month old lab mix a few weeks ago. She has great retrieving instincts and loves to chase after tennis balls and bring them back to me.

The only problem is, when she drops the ball she'll pretend to sniff at a leaf or something and when I put my hand out to grab the ball back she snatches it away! Sometimes she'll accidentally scratch or bite my hand. Its gotten to the point where playing with her isn't fun anymore :( How do I get her to stop?

Usually she is a submissive and very sweet dog and I have no other complaints. She gets so worked up when playing that she doesn't respond to my NO!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Ditto Crio.

First that 'chuck it' is amazing-no goobery balls to handle (it's picks them up for you) and you don't have to bend and it throws really well.

And ditto on the ignore game. We're working on my dog on a similar behavior. Once you've picked up the ball he leaps on you and bites your gloves.

So we're working on only reinfocing for sitting and behaving while waiting for the throw (we only go forward playing fetch for good behavior, a leap or nip stops the motion-going forward with a throw is a reinfocer).

It took some time to identify what we were doing to what he was doing, but it worked out and he's almost sitting perfectly after dropping the ball waiting for us to throw ;)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I have found 2 things that have helped me with this problem with my new 8 month old boxer:

1. I step on the ball first and then reach for it...I think when I step on it it shows him it is my ball not his.

2. But I like this one better it is more fun...I use 2 balls (got that advice here) He loves playing fetch with 2 balls. When he brings the first back and drops at my feet I throw the other one and he goes and gets it. He is looking forward to that second ball he isn't even worried about the first one.

Hope that helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts