Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Sawyer to the vets today for his yearly check up and she agreed that it might be worth it to try adding pro/prebiotics to his diet since he has a sensitive stomach (basically for him its really easy for him to get soft/er poop).They sell some at the vets but its a bit expensive so I wanted to look around a little first. Do you guys have any brand suggestions, preferably something I can find at Petco/smart or order from chewys.
Ive also read that feeding green tripe can be good for good digestion so I'm looking into adding that into his diet every once and awhile. Does any one feed green tripe? could you tell me a little more about it and if it is a good idea what are the benefits of feeding it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Green tripe is generally thought of as a "superfood" for dogs. It's a natural probiotic, and is easy to digest (so good for feeding to a dog with GI upset). As long as you're getting green tripe (not bleached tripe), it's actually all balanced. Some raw feeders feed exclusively green tripe, or a high percentage. I feed some green tripe 3x a week, if not daily.

As far as probiotics straight up, I've been very happy with Wholistic Pet Digest-All Plus. I don't know if Chewy carries it, but I just ordered mine off of amazon. Don't just go with what's around, there are many "probiotics" available, but not all of them have a high enough enzyme count to really be effective. Sunday Sundae by Feedsentials K-9 is another great product, from everything I've heard. I've not used it myself, but have heard nothing but good things from everyone who has suggested it to me.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I tried giving Mia some probiotic powder I got at a local pet food store but I think it made her gassy (man alive her farts are STINNNNKKYYYY).

I now prefer just giving her dehydrated lamb tripe, you just add a little bit of lukewarm/warm water and let it soak for a few minutes. It doesn't smell as bad as the fresh/fresh frozen stuff. The package I get has a little plastic scoop thing, I usually give her one scoop 3-4 times a week.

https://www.google.com/search?q=deh...d+lamb+tripe&tbm=shop&spd=7454410060945002507

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for the information :),

@Mesonoxian - I actually have a wholistic pet store "near" me (I'm not sure if its their brand or they just carry it), ive been looking for an excuse to go check out the store anyways and it seems now I do lol. How long does the supplement last you?

@yoshiposhi- that sounds like a good idea. I also found a brand that makes dry food that has tripe in it (as the first ingredient) so I was looking into maybe adding the to his current food as a mix or using it as a brand rotation. They also make canned tripe but the last time I gave Sawyer wet food he got really bad diarrhea (not %100 sure if that was the cause) so I'm a little weary of anything wet food now. I will deffinitly have to try dehydrated tripe though and see how he does.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought the 8oz tub; I've been feeding it for 3 months now, and the jar is less than half gone. The 8oz tub has just under 227 grams of powder in it, and each 1/4 tsp. is approximately 1gram. Feeding guidelines are 1 scoop (1/4 tsp.) per cup of dry food given. Lena is on a raw diet, and we do 1 scoop/day. (she weights about 27 lbs)

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yah if I give Mia too much tripe her poops are really soft so usually a small scoop per meal is all I give her. Her stomach is pretty sensitive (even sometimes if her meal portion is JUST a little too much she gets soft stool). The bag isn't cheap though...here in Vancouver it goes for about $19 per bag. I can't really remember how much a bag lasts me but its usually under a month. But I definitely prefer going the "natural" way than using the probiotic powder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts