Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just rescued a one year old Bichon Frize with many behavioural issues. His problems include snapping when we go near toys, objects and food, pulling on the lead, not coming when called, barking for nothing or barking a long time to a stimulus and separation anxiety. He is still being house-trained.
My question is: what one or two issues do I start with and how do I respond to those behaviours that have to wait?
My dog Eddy is wonderful company, playful and we love him already.
Thanks so much

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I'd work on bonding first and not worry too much about training for now, possibly except for house training (shout if you need advice on that).

The resource guarding could cause problems so I'd tackle that with strict management for now, making sure he is left alone completely to eat etc.

·
Super Moderator
218 Posts
I have just rescued a one year old Bichon Frize with many behavioural issues. His problems include snapping when we go near toys, objects and food, pulling on the lead, not coming when called, barking for nothing or barking a long time to a stimulus and separation anxiety. He is still being house-trained.
My question is: what one or two issues do I start with and how do I respond to those behaviours that have to wait?
My dog Eddy is wonderful company, playful and we love him already.
Thanks so much

As you've just rescued him, the separation anxiety could be part of the settling in process and might self-resolve as he adjusts to his new home. That can still take months (for Milly lurcher it was 3 months. For the chihuahua in my avatar, Honey, it was closer to 5).

If he guards his toys and food, don't approach them, and make sure no one else does, either. In time, you may be able to train him to relinquish them by playing swapsy (literally, I'll give you this if you give me that), but for now, just leave him be, like JoanneF said.

You say you've just received him - how long ago was that, exactly? I wonder if you're expecting recall too soon. That's not a criticism - I made the same mistake with Milly many, many moons ago.

Do you have close neighbours? If so, and if it's bad, it might be a good idea to prioritize that as well as the house training.

Reactions: JoanneF
1 - 3 of 3 Posts