Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I have been reading a lot and haven't had much success finding good help so I have a question for you guys! If you can refer me to another page or give some advice that would be great.

-background info on Moose and Hondo-
I have two 1 year old half Coonhound/half Catahoulla (they take after the coonhound part a lot). They are my best friends and we spend a lot of time together. They are very active/healthy and go on runs with me at least once a day and go to a closed in park a few times a week to run and play in the grass. They are super friendly and love people and other dogs. They are pretty well behaved, but do need some work. they are good with basic commands mostly at home and never get a free meal or treat.

-question-
I used to take them out a lot when i'd go hunting for small game, but as they have gotten older their prey drive has increased, as expected. They bolt and do not listen at all as soon as a jack rabbit pops out of the grass now (they used to stick right by me when they were younger) This has happened a few times and has been an ordeal getting them back. I need off-leash reliability; I want them to be able to go hunting with me and be able to chase rabbits(it looks like a lot of fun) when I let them and also come back to me. sickness and schoolwork put a lot of training to a minimum, but now that thats over I don't know exactly what to do, training two dogs at once is tough and I don't know exactly what i'm doing as far as training hunting dogs. I know I have to be consistent and work a lot with them for my goals to be a reality, I just don't know exactly where to start anymore since they have started bolting on me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Welcome. Your dogs are gorgeous. :)

For starters, this thread should give you plenty to work on: http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/recall-9595/

Other cues you'll probably find come in handy out in the field are "leave it" and down at a distance or stand/stay at a distance. Check out this thread: http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/web-resources-131034/ for helpful Youtube channels that will have good videos on teaching those things. We also have a "helpful videos" sticky that has some great stuff.

I'd encourage you to read up on premack and teaching impulse control--in the Reactivity sticky, we have some videos on the premack. And this is a recent thread on impulse control games: http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/favorite-impulse-control-exercises-games-148194/

·
Registered
318 Posts
sounds like a handful!

Decide first how exactly you want your dogs to behave under given circumstances, so that you can train it first away from the gun ( I'm assuming you're shooting with these dogs) and whether they are to flush, pick up or both.

I would suggest you look first at UK gundog training..the principles are the same, and specifically, if you can find one, Springer Spaniel training as these are quite high drive dogs if they're from working stock.

Totally avoid any sites ( sorry but they're usually US sites) that use things like a 'forced fetch' or e-collars etc.

Mostly anyway I think you need a solid instant sit or down that will stop your dogs in their tracks.......sadly far too many people here shoot their own dogs running into the line of fire!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts