Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2 females a 4 yr old and a 1 year old. The 4 yr old got along with the puppy until the puppy cried out. This caused my 4 year old to attack her. Now she attacks the puppy without any warning whatsoever. I am wondering if this is prey aggression?? She killed and ate baby bunnies a few years back and that was a very traumatic event for her in how we responded. I don't know how I'll ever get this out of her. Tips and suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Could you explain what you mean/what she does when you say she attacks? It will help us better determine if its more insiting play or prey drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The traumatic event with the bunnies is what I feel that sparked her prey aggression towards this my other female.

There was a den of babies (rabbitts). We saw our dog taking them out and eating them. We got to the den, there were two left. We picked them up and our now 4 year old dog ripped one out of my fiancés hands and swallowed it whole. My fiancé was screaming at the top of her lungs and chasing our dog in retaliation.

Now my 4 yr old has never been in a fight with any other dogs. The first time she attacked our puppy was about a month after we had her. They were playing. When it got too rough the puppy let out a long whimper cry and ran off. Our 4 yr old chased her down and attacked.

She wasn't going to stop, so we had to intervene and to say the least it was very bad. And all we could think of. Was that it played out all too much the same way as the bunny incident. We were terrified for the puppy and very angry at her big sister.

Big sis attacked two more times, till we now separate them and they don't have much interaction. The manner of which she attacks is very quiet, she sees the puppy and attacks no tells in body language. When the puppy is out and her big sis is in a kennel. Sometimes they'll lick each other and there have been a few times when big sis has tried playing with her through the crate. Other times she does a lunge and bark if the puppy gets too close. The biggest thing is big sis is too unpredictable. We've walked them. Both on opposite sides of the road--sometimes getting as close as two arm lengths apart and big sis won't go tearing after the puppy. But she will "stalk" the puppy with her eyes if the puppy is ahead of her.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
So...

Tell us about the older dog with issues...
How much has she been socialized?
Exercise? How much every day and what sort? Is she able to be offleash and run or simple walks?
Mental exercise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She was around another female and male all 8 weeks old. Family members dogs. She went to the dog park and stores rather often. We basically have 2 good sized city lots for back yard that's fenced in. We play fetch daily and she has freedom to go play with the other 2 dogs and their fine (we have 4). We have a couple different slow down bowls that have fun patterns and we do some training for about 30 mins a day (basic commands/nose work). Would like to do more, but are pretty busy.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
She was around another female and male all 8 weeks old. Family members dogs. She went to the dog park and stores rather often. We basically have 2 good sized city lots for back yard that's fenced in. We play fetch daily and she has freedom to go play with the other 2 dogs and their fine (we have 4). We have a couple different slow down bowls that have fun patterns and we do some training for about 30 mins a day (basic commands/nose work). Would like to do more, but are pretty busy.
Was/went... These are past tense. Are you currently taking the dog to the parks? Getting her out and about? Exercising her?

Hate to tell you - the prey drive existed before the bunny incident.

Rotties are one of the smartest breeds going - and probably one of the most versatile dogs out there. They can be trained to do near anything. It sounds like your dog is thinking for herself, doing as she pleases. You already know she's likely to kill the pup if she has the chance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry but I don't think that is the case. Because she played with and befriend the puppy before that. She's a well socialized dog. She's never hurt another dog. She does fine with my other dogs.

I would like some tips to change the behavior. Where it's come from at this point doesn't really matter. All you can do is alter the behavior not fix the route problem.

If someone could tell me what they've done with prey aggression that would be great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Since the puppy has come home, how has that affected the level of attention you've given stalking big sis? Here we're talking about time spent, treats handed out, amount of praise, etc. If big sis sees the puppy as a competitor, you're going to continue this dynamic. Beyond this, I strongly recommend you seek a professional trainer's assessment and recommendations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts