Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live alone (just me and the dog) so theres about 8 hour monday through friday where she must stay home alone. I had tried leaving her home alone out of the crate a while back, but she chewed a hole in the wall so she went back to the create. After 6 or so months i tried it again, she didn't cause any problems for almost 3 weeks this time but today I come home and find carpet ripped off part of the stairs. She could tell I was mad, although I doubt she really knew why by the time i got home and found the mess. She's about 2.5 years old now.

Im not really sure how to stop this. I don't want her to have to stay in her crate all day when I'm not home. She does go to a daycare once a week so she would have to been in theres about 8 hours a day 4 days a week.

Anyone have similar issues or idea on how I might stop this so I don't have to make her stay in a crate?

edit:

I do not believe its anxiety related or anything. She doesn't bother a single thing when I am home. Never really has shown signs of separation anxiety at all. Honestly I sometimes don't think she's cares if I'm here or not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does she have things to do when you are away from home? If you are sure it isn't anxiety, then make sure she is entertained. Leave toys, opens blinds so she can see out, and try not to get mad if she destroys something. Unless you catch her in the act, she will think you are mad for what she is doing currently, not something she did before. Dogs live in the moment.

Since dogs live in the moment, they will need entertainment. Do you have a yard to leave her in? I'd also try to play with her before you leave if you can to tire her out and leave her from having any energy to destroy anything. Those are my thoughts anyway.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I would say invest in some kongs or "busy buddy" toys. Try that out and see if it helps. If not, I think you either need to just invest in the daycare, an occasional dog walker (if the dog is ok during short intervals), or just give in a crate her. If you crate her I would still recommend time occupying toys. May I ask what kind of dog it is? Smarter breeds like those in the herding and sporting groups tend to be more destructive because the get very bored.

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I think the question of exercise is really relevant. You want to exercise her enough so she does not have a great deal of pent up energy, which rarely when left to their own devices, results in positive actions. Also the suggestion, I also saw, could you at least temporarily have someone come in mid-day, and spend some time with her? If you can break her habit of destruction, she may be fine permanently. Lets hope.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts