Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm conflicted. To make a long story short, my dog was itching, I went to the vet to have allergy tests done, walked out with a huge bag of royal canine kibble instead. Before the scratching started, my plan was to go raw & kibble allergies don't always apply to raw food. Question is, should/could I chuck the vet's plan & switch to raw, or should I continue feeding the royal?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm conflicted. To make a long story short, my dog was itching, I went to the vet to have allergy tests done, walked out with a huge bag of royal canine kibble instead. Before the scratching started, my plan was to go raw & kibble allergies don't always apply to raw food. Question is, should/could I chuck the vet's plan & switch to raw, or should I continue feeding the royal?
With time, if allergies are kibble related they will go away on raw, but how long it will take depends on the amount of toxins that are built up from kibble.Kibble is so full of artificial, unnecessary stuff. Commercial raw may have some extra stuff as well, but not like kibble. If you go with prey model raw, you are feeding nothing but raw meats/bones/organs. Nothing more. Do you want to fee commercial raw, or prey model?

Royal Canin is low quality, and it's not surprising that vet would suggest it and itching is likely to continue.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Then you will see an improvement, assuming all of the itching is due to food. Although dogs can have protein allergies, it's rare. It's normally the other useless ingredients in kibble that cause the problems. Proteins in cooked form, like whats in kibble is very different from raw. The body handles it completely different. In ten years(going on eleven) of feeding prey model, I haven't had any issues with any dogs and protein with the esception of one, who I currently have who seems to have a little bit of an issue with chicken. Other than that, nothing. Including vet visits. They went away as well as far as health or teeth related problems go.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You may be dealing with environmental allergies in addition to food sensitivities so just a change to a raw diet may not solve all your problems (but IS a good start!)
I once had Cairn terriers that were allergic to everything and only by taking them to an Animal Dermatologist was I able to find out what they were allergic to and get it under control. It was very pricey but well worth it.
There is an article by Dr. Karen Becker called
"Does Your Pet Have Allergies? What You Need To Know And Do" That is very good...... Google it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I'll be completely honest with you, one of the biggest things you'll notice about all of the prescription diets on the market (Royal Canin, Hill's, Purina, etc.) is that most of them are made from trash ingredients. By-products, corn gluten, soy protein, just pretty much all of the usual indicators of a low-quality food.

If your dogs have allergies, your best option is to figure out what those allergies are, remove those allergies from the diet, and find yourself a limited ingredient option, that's not going to put a bunch of garbage into your dog's system. It's absolutely ludicrous how jacked up the prices are for prescription diets that are nothing more than off-the-beaten-path proteins, and low-carb fillers.

I understand that some of them are necessary, but most aren't. And vets with little to no nutrition education are making a pretty penny telling you that the Zignature isn't going to work, because your dog needs a $94 bag of Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
You mentioned pills in another thread... What are they? We tried reactine for a while, didn't do much - but the switch to claritin worked much better.

Our pup spent the first two years on kibble - all different kinds of kibble from mid grade to top end. We switched to raw - which has benefits - but wasn't a magic bullet for us. Finally got a diagnosis, but the current vet asked us to try feeding cooked for a few months with some veggies thrown in. He enjoyed it, didn't do anything for him and caused issues with his poop - more diarrhea and much larger poop when it was harder. Switched back to raw and that's where we stay. He's doing much better through all this.

We have pretty much covered all the bases with feeding.

Switching to raw for a month or two won't hurt the dog for sure, and will give you an idea if the allergies are food related or environmental if nothing else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts