Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
as you know i have a beautiful presa, but his looks dont reflect on his character!!! he is a crazy dog, he pulls on the lead, i cant let him off lead because he runs away & doesnt listen to me, he jumps on people when they come round or when i take him for walks & he loves to nip at everyone!! the main things are the jumping, nipping & off lead!! i want to let him off lead knowing that he will come back to me & he wont disturb anyone, by jumping, nipping or even going upto them!! can someone please help me!!

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
first, he needs a lot of exercise and mental stimulation.

second, when he jumps up like you describe, turn away from him, only give him attention when he has stopped jumping up...

unfortunately, as you have been having this same exact issue with him, since you got him, he has likely been rewarded (however unintentionally) for a long time now... it will not be easy to correct, it will take A LOT of time, patience and consistency from you...

as i have recommended before, i urge you to seek out a qualified, positive reinforcement trainer and get professional assistance.

third, he should not be allowed off leash until you have worked out this issue, he could seriously injure someone by behaving this way, and you are responsible if he does so... until you have worked out a training plan, his behavior will have to be managed...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone,
im sorry i make you keep repeating yourselves, but i just want the best for him & i want him to be happier! i have got a trainer, but she says that he wont be able to be off lead & behave well, but he has been behaving better since last time we went to her (last sunday, less biting & jumping). Training is every sunday & he loves it, but she says he cant be taught to be good off lead, it will come to him? :S, which i think is wrong!!
what do you think?
thanks

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Some dogs will never be able to be off leash...One of mine always tended to stay near us anyways and has a great recall, which is taught, but our other dogs I do not trust for nothing!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, well she said to ignore the jumping (turn away) & when he nips, make a noise to distract him. Also, she said he will never be able to go off lead & if he does it will be about 3-4 years!! what do you think?
thanks

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I think all training depends on the trainer, not the dog.

What I can train a dog to do is different from what you can, which is different from what your neighbor can from what your trainer can. Iam of the belief that he CAN be trained off leash reliably. But whether or not he WILL be depends on your skill and your trainers skill :)

you have many other things to teach him tho first before you even think about off leash recalls.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
yes we will be starting to do recall, with a very long lead (about 10ft or so) in a field around others! & hopefully, he will learn to come to me, when called!!
thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi to all i hv my presa canario and he is 1 yr now and im worried he is just standing up to 24 inches tall...i am worried if he could reach his standrd size which is 26"...?i need more ideas and info?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I do believe that some dogs just aren't good candidates for being off leash depending on the ability of the dog to focus on the handler, and for the handler to be able to motivate the dog and teach the dog to have a very solid recall outdoors.

I work with a dog and we cannot find anything that she would like when she is outside. She isn't stressed, but she doesn't want to eat (even the most high value of treats), and she will only play with a toy once in awhile. Because of this, the family and I decided that being off leash during her walks might not be something that would be reasonable to teach her. She is a very good walker, and she has a nice large fenced in yard, so long walks and being able to run in her large yard works very well for her.

If you're working with your dog on a long line, I would just keep up the good work and see how it goes. If anything, you will end up with a dog that is very reliable on the long line, which is great! Just build up the distance as your dog improves, and you should be just fine.

Just remember to have a solid recall in your home and in your yard before expecting him to do well on his walks. Also, try to have him practice his recall on his walks with short distances before giving him the full 10ft of line in which to practice. Only increase the distance as he is successful, which will set your dog up for success instead of failure.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't think ten feet is enough, especially with a big dog. My clients are always put on a 20' lead, even yorkshire terriers. It's much easier for them to stay within 20' of you than 10' of you. With some dogs I would go 30' or more. Use a harness with a front clip with a very strong dog. Go to a large area, like a park. When he comes to the end of the lead, walk in a different directions. Keep doing this. Change direction every couple of minutes. This teaches him to pay attention to you. If he doesn't pay attention to where you are you can't begin teaching him any cues at a distance, let alone to heel. Do this every day and see if he isn't more teachable at your next lesson.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Zombie thread back from the dead. There's life in the old thread yet!

The thread is 2 years old, I doubt that the OP is still around unless he just lurks, he joined in '09 and only has 63 post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts