Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

this thread is not meant to let a discussion of "kibble over raw" come up, I'm just playing with the idea of switching to raw (PMR) for Bri.

First of, she poops a lot, and it is very stinky (though it has hardened up a bit since I switched to Canidae). My understanding is (I read a lot about raw feeding on this forum and in general), she will poop less and the stool will be harder and not that stinky. This is first and foremost a benefit for me :D

The second thing is that she is sometimes a little itchy, gets red paws and now also started scratching her ears. I assume it is an environmental allergy, since it is always worse when she's been outside a lot (she doesn't scratch anything bloody, but is biting her paws and then scratching her ears, sometimes even scratching her face with both front paws). I hope that with raw she'll be getting an overall better health/immune system and it brings her back to balance and thus the allergic reaction might lessen. Could this be an outcome of raw feeding? Or is the benefit only for food allergies?

Now to the core question. I am not a person who is disgusted by many things, but I'm not a fan at all of handling organs (never have been, never will). When preparing a whole chicken, which has the organs still in the carcass, even the bagged stuff grosses me out :(
Do you have any advice for me how I might be able to prepare these things for Bri (so mostly portioning them) without being total disgusted by it?

I don't want to spend $7/lbs in already prepared, frozen mixtures, because I know, if I do it myself it will be much cheaper and, most important, not ground!

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
On the gross factor grab some no powder nitrile examination gloves, I find they reduce the "I'm touching organs" feeling. I say nitrile over latex because latex is thinner and a known allergen.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yes, they poop less in much smaller amounts with no odor. When they eat bone, the poop will dry white. Cutting grass over a turd makes a powder puff cloud! My hubby loves that. But yes, they poop tiny amounts due to how much more of it they are digesting compared to kibble.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
How about freezing the organs? You can buy packages of liver, or hearts etc. and just pop them in the freezer?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Chas But it would still have a weird texture and smell (I tend to react more to smell than look/touch).

Yes, they poop less in much smaller amounts with no odor. When they eat bone, the poop will dry white. Cutting grass over a turd makes a powder puff cloud! My hubby loves that. But yes, they poop tiny amounts due to how much more of it they are digesting compared to kibble.
My hubby would love that until he knows what it is :D

How about freezing the organs? You can buy packages of liver, or hearts etc. and just pop them in the freezer?
I thought about that, but what am I using to cut it up then? A saw? (I know it might be a really dumb question and I'm probably just panicking where there is no need, but that was the first thing that popped in my head when I thought about switching to raw: organs)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Well, you don't start feeding organs for some time after starting raw, so just for now start transitioning through the proteins and start getting a feel for raw overall. You will have time to decide how you want to approach the organs when that time comes.

And I meant to say earlier and just forgot....raw will build the immune system and you will likely see an improvement in allergies. Environmental allergies can still be an issue though, but they might improve as well.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The poop should be smaller and harder than kibble fed dogs. Since there are no fillers most of the food is used by the body and very little is left to come out the other end. More bone leads to harder, drier poop, more meat and organs leads to softer, somewhat smellier poop. I normally feed organs with more bone to even it out a bit. I'm still amazed sometimes at how little my guys poop. Freyja's poop is only a little bit bigger than my neighbors two little Shih Tzu's poop. And she has at least 100 pounds on them. The poop will also dry up in a day or so and turn white.

The raw may help with her itching. I would guess it depends one the cause and how bad it is. Her immune system will get stronger over time, so it may take a while to see the results, if it does happen.

I'm not fond of handling liver, it stinks and the smell is hard to get off my hands. So I use gloves when I cut and bag it up. The other organs don't bother me though. You'll get use to it over time. I also feed the organs frozen, so no need to handle them at feeding time. Just turn the bag inside out, the dogs go nuts for frozen liver.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My understanding is (I read a lot about raw feeding on this forum and in general), she will poop less and the stool will be harder and not that stinky. This is first and foremost a benefit for me :D
First off, good for you for doing some pre-research and not just tossing your dog a hunk of raw chicken! :) (Never stop researching, there's always more to learn!!) The poop will be smaller for sure, and will be firmer than kibble BMs - and little to no smell!

The second thing is that she is sometimes a little itchy, gets red paws and now also started scratching her ears. I assume it is an environmental allergy, since it is always worse when she's been outside a lot (she doesn't scratch anything bloody, but is biting her paws and then scratching her ears, sometimes even scratching her face with both front paws). I hope that with raw she'll be getting an overall better health/immune system and it brings her back to balance and thus the allergic reaction might lessen. Could this be an outcome of raw feeding? Or is the benefit only for food allergies?
The cardinal rule of raw feeding is "know thy dog" and this carries over into the reality that each dog is different. That being said, switching to a raw diet made a DRASTIC change in my girl's environmental allergies. Her itchy paws, belly rash, and allergy-based hot spots were gone or on their way there within a few weeks of being on raw. (the rash was gone in 3 days):D

Now to the core question. I am not a person who is disgusted by many things, but I'm not a fan at all of handling organs (never have been, never will). When preparing a whole chicken, which has the organs still in the carcass, even the bagged stuff grosses me out :(
Do you have any advice for me how I might be able to prepare these things for Bri (so mostly portioning them) without being total disgusted by it?
Oh boy can I empathize with you here! As a vegetarian, the prep really freaked me out (still bothers me if I think about it too much, but after 2.5 yrs, it's not quite as bad). I second the recommendation of gloves - not just to get away from some of the weird textures, but also to keep any yucky smells from sticking on your hands for days. Dealing with frozen organs is really the least icky way to prep them. As long as they're not in a deep freeze, you should generally be able to cut them up with a pair of kitchen shears (I use a super cheap set from the dollar store). Even if the organs are super frozen, just let them partially thaw and then prep them while they're still a bit frosty. Another idea is to ask around in your area for anyone who may be willing to do a complete organ grind for you (meat processor, butcher). I have a local meat processor that will do organ grinds for me (half liver, half other secreting organ, or just secreting organ that isn't liver) for $1.25/lb - For me, that is ABOLUTELY worth the little bit more I pay per lb to avoid the hassle of major organ prep.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your answers and suggestions!
I'll handle the organ question, when I get to that point, but @Chas the mask is a great idea! and then slightly frozen and gloves should be okay. I'll probably end up doing it once a month or bi-weekly and then I don't have to deal with it that often :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, Bri just got her first chicken thigh dinner ;)

I thought about switching to turkey in about a week (so I always have the weekends to figure out if she takes on it well), sounds okay?

Another thing that I just thought about, I know there was this thread stating you can mix kibble and raw, I'm not planning that, but can I still give her "dry" treats?

Thanks so much :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
A week is fine to move on to the next protein assuming all is still well then.

If you are planning on feeding raw 100%, I wouldn't give any treats at all during the transition period through the proteins. The reason for going through each protein one at a time, is so that if you run into a problem with one, you know what the problem is and you can back up a step and go slower, or remove a protein if need be. The more you add during this time, the harder it is to pin point the problem. It defeats the purpose of the ease of feeding a single protein at a time. Less is more, in the case of raw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

My dog Chloe has been eating raw for over a year now. I do not suggest mixing the raw diet with a different diet. Either all raw or all hard dog food. The combination may cause digestion problems. I make Chloe's raw food with fresh hamburger, boiled eggs with shells left on, garlic, Oregano leaves, olive oil and immune strengthener supplements. Chloe has severe allergies and this has helped tremendously. Chloe loves it. Check out Dinovite.com or videos on YouTube from Dinovite on how to prepare raw dog food. I left the rice out because Chloe has yeast allergies. Hope this helps also.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hi,

My dog Chloe has been eating raw for over a year now. I do not suggest mixing the raw diet with a different diet. Either all raw or all hard dog food. The combination may cause digestion problems. I make Chloe's raw food with fresh hamburger, boiled eggs with shells left on, garlic, Oregano leaves, olive oil and immune strengthener supplements. Chloe has severe allergies and this has helped tremendously. Chloe loves it. Check out Dinovite.com or videos on YouTube from Dinovite on how to prepare raw dog food. I left the rice out because Chloe has yeast allergies. Hope this helps also.
What other proteins do you feed? Any bone? What about organs? The reason I'm asking, is because as is, you aren't feeding a nutritionally complete diet.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have to agree with naturalfeddogs, that is not a complete raw diet. Meat, bones and organs. Supplements can vary dog to dog. I rarely feed hamburger or other ground meat, only when I find it at a really great price. Otherwise it's big chunks the dogs have to chew.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Chloe has a supplement from Only Natural pets that I give her, it contains all the other nutrients she needs. Chloe's immune system has improved tremendously.
It sounds like you are more along the lines of a BARF style feeder, which is still better than kibble, but to feed raw correctly, no supplements are needed, unless it's fish oil. You should be feeding at least a minimum of four different proteins, along with whole edible bones and organs. Beef liver and kidney in particular. In variety, raw meat/bones/organs supply everything a dog needs.

The supplement you are giving is still a processed, commercial one. It isn't going to provide ALL the needed nutrients that are in fresh, whole food. Their body isn't going to proccess it as well as fresh whole food either. Feeding one protein just isn't enough, and feeding organs is a must with any raw form of feeding because they are so nutrient rich.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds like you are more along the lines of a BARF style feeder, which is still better than kibble, but to feed raw correctly, no supplements are needed, unless it's fish oil. You should be feeding at least a minimum of four different proteins, along with whole edible bones and organs. Beef liver and kidney in particular. In variety, raw meat/bones/organs supply everything a dog needs.

The supplement you are giving is still a processed, commercial one. It isn't going to provide ALL the needed nutrients that are in fresh, whole food. Their body isn't going to proccess it as well as fresh whole food either. Feeding one protein just isn't enough, and feeding organs is a must with any raw form of feeding because they are so nutrient rich.
Thanks so much for the info. Dinovite offers whole food supplements and with the Only Natural pet supplements, Chloe is getting all she needs. It is working for us. I also boil chicken bones and use the juices to mix into her raw diet every now and then. If I need to tweak it later on down the line your info will be helpful. Thanks much

1 - 20 of 65 Posts