Dog Forum banner

Preparing for my dog to be on his own while I work

810 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Naira 
#1 ·
First off, you should know that I am brand new to dog owning. Everything is new to me, I have no prior experience with training dogs, so don't assume I know what you're talking about. Basically, I am in need of "Dogs for Dummies" answers. Thank you for understanding.

Bagel is a 10-year-old Beagle mix. He came to me house trained (Yay! and Phew!) but I am getting concerned that once the school year starts again (I am a full time teacher) he is not going to be able to hold it the entire time. Right now I am taking him out every few hours, and he genuinely needs to go every time. My apartment is tiny so I'd rather not get a crate, there really is nowhere to put it that wouldn't be in the way. I'm not adverse to hiring a dog walker, but I'd still like to plan as if he is going to be on his own for at least eight hours every day. Could I use pee pads some how? Do dogs understand litter boxes? What do you suggest?

#2 ·
I feel like you can certainly teach an old dog new tricks..but after 10 years of peeing outside it would be notably difficult to break that habit. Is your dog incontinent? My dog can easily hold it for 10+ hours out of a crate and she's barely 8 months old. If it's feasible to get someone to let your dog out and break up the day, I would do that.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.