Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
We recently got our first dog. Up until now I was only familiar with the big names in pet food brands such as Royal Canin, Hills etc. While researching what to get, I've discovered other premium brands such as Lily's kitchen, Orijen, Taste of the wild etc. I find these a more attractive option as they seem like a more natural choice. However, I wanted to know how they compare to the established brands. Is the quality more or less the same? Will the dog get the same health benefits, as well as soft shiny coat, harder stools, etc?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd rate Lily's Kitchen, Orijen and TOTW way above RC and Hills - the latter two spend a lot on marketing their foods and pushing vets (who have relatively little nutritional training) to stock them.

If you want the best food for your dog, do also consider raw feeding. Raw feeders can be rather evangelical, but that does tend to be because of the great results they've had from the diet (or rather their dogs have had...).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought so... Regarding the marketing bit I mean.
This might be a very silly question but when talking about raw food, do we mean actual fresh chicken joints, breasts, beef filllets etc? Is there such thing as raw dry food? :p

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not a silly question at all if it's your first dog! Yes, fresh raw chicken, beef, fish, etc. etc. There are some basic guidelines to follow, but it's very simple once you get your head round it. You can get freeze-dried 'raw' which may have the same benefits (I haven't investigated it so can't be sure) - e.g.: Multipack Dinner

·
Registered
35 Posts
Foods will less fillers will result in less stool! Brands that use grains, potato’s, corn, and or soy you’ll notice more stool. Orijen, Acana, Essence, Farmina, and Zignature are all foods high in protein and low in carbs.

There is also dehydrated, canned, and raw foods as well. There are tons of different brands on the market with different ingredients. I switch my dogs dry food (brand) about every 3 months. I also feed half raw and switch around brands there as well. Usually once I get my free bag from the pet store. But I also add in cans and freeze dried on top of my dogs kibble.

I stay away from foods with corn, wheat, soy, and grains. I’ve noticed my dogs have shinier coats, clean teeth, high energy levels, and better quality of life... Before I’ve done all my research on dog food and nutrition I fed any basic bag of kibble. I’ve found lots of success with rotational feeding. You can learn more about rotational feeding from Dr. Karen Becker. I get some of my information from her website and YouTube videos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i think that Dry Dog Food is formulated to give dogs all of the energy and nourishment they need , so i hereby to suggest you to try The Pedigree Adult Dry Dog food -Roasted Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Flavor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts