Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Puppy starting to get the potty training, but still going in crate. Put her in a smaller one that she can still turn around in. Still going in crate. Read that should remove bedding in ther. Did that and became all wet from peeing in there. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Is there a particular time or rhythm this is happening? Like when you wake up in the morning, more in the afternoon, when you get her from a nap, if it's cold outside?

And, this might be a sensitive question for some, but where/who did you get her from?

I know pups from pet stores or people who virtually never took them out of their crates can be particularly hard to house train or slower to develop bladder control. If this is the case, or similar, I'd handle this differently.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
How old is the puppy, how long have you had her, and how often are you taking this puppy out to have her go potty?

Are you taking her outside and praising her for going potty outside?

Depending on the age of the puppy, they need to go out every hour to two hours plus after eating, after a nap, and after playing. Keeping the dog in a small crate is not the solution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a particular time or rhythm this is happening? Like when you wake up in the morning, more in the afternoon, when you get her from a nap, if it's cold outside?

And, this might be a sensitive question for some, but where/who did you get her from?

I know pups from pet stores or people who virtually never took them out of their crates can be particularly hard to house train or slower to develop bladder control. If this is the case, or similar, I'd handle this differently.
N oticed it happened at night, when I had removed her bedding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old is the puppy, how long have you had her, and how often are you taking this puppy out to have her go potty?

Are you taking her outside and praising her for going potty outside?

Depending on the age of the puppy, they need to go out every hour to two hours plus after eating, after a nap, and after playing. Keeping the dog in a small crate is not the solution.
She’s 4mos. Old,shih tzu

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
A 4 month old is still a baby.
You need to take her outside many times during the day and also a few times at night. Every time she goes potty outside, praise her and give her a tiny treat.
If she goes indoors, don't say anything to her, just clean it up thoroughly.
If you catch her in the act, gently pick her up without saying anything unpleasant and take her outside. If she finishes it outside, praise her.
My guess is the whole problem is that she is not being taken outside often enough. They really cannot hold it for very long, and you can't teach them how great it is to go potty outside if they are not being given the opportunity to do so often enough.

·
Super Moderator
6,137 Posts
If a puppy needs to toilet, it needs to toilet, whether in a crate or not. A crate can help in so far as dogs prefer not to toilet where they sleep, but if they can't wait, they have no choice. Can you set an alarm to take her out overnight?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts