Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a border collie that is 5 months old and we are having trouble with him pooping in the house. He doesn't ever go pee in the house anymore (which is kind of odd) and he lets us know when he needs to go outside, but he will pee outside and then want to come in right away. I walk him around because I know sometimes it takes a little bit for him to poop, but he gets distracted, tried to pull on his leash towards the door, sits/ lays in the yard... An example of his behavior is after dinner he wanted to go outside so I took him out and he peed, wanted to come in, so let him instead. 15 mins later I took him out again because he was sniffing around, didn't do anything. 15 mins later I took him out again and he didn't do anything. Then he poops on the floor 5 mins later.... It used to be like clock work in the morning, I knew exactly what time he would poop, but now he won't go and we haven't changed his eating schedule. Also when he does poop INSIDE we will take him outside right away to try and show him that is where he should be going, and when he poops OUTSIDE we cheer and be over the top letting him know he did a good deed. Please let me know if you have any advice to help with this! Thanks!!! :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
What do you use to clean the soiled area? If there is a little bit of smell left, he may think that's the right place.

I would take his poop and put it in the outside area where he should be pooping. Maybe something had put him of pooping outside, so he needs to build up his confidence. Are there other dogs in the area where he goes?

If he doesn't poop outside when you take him there, I would have him on a leash tied to my waist once back in the house so I could supervise his every move. or put him in a crate or x-pen. As soon as he starts 'to go' take him outside and reward if he goes. If he doesn't, back on a leash or playpen. He should get the idea pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
What is the consistency of his poops? Are they solid or soft?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts