Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rat Terrier pup from an accidental litter. She's currently 10 weeks (we brought her home at 8 weeks), very hyper active. We limit her to our second living room (no barriers, she's very obedient when it comes to thresholds and I tell her no, she won't cross and will come running back). We're crate training her and leaving her during the day in the crate with a small separate section for her pee pad. We can't outdoor train yet as I live in Canada and our winters are far too harsh for her. She knows when we're around she needs to go poop in her poop box but when it comes to peeing she seems to pee everywhere, rarely going to her box to pee. We watch her vigilantly and catch her in the act every time and verbally reprimand, often she'll have let a little out but when we put her in her box she's so excited I think she forgets that she needs to go. When I leave her in there and sit with her she still won't go. Even after her little "accidents" she won't go pee for another half an hour or so even though I KNOW she has to go. It's never in the same area either, she seems to just drop wherever. We have her on scheduled feedings and scheduled water but her body just doesn't seem easy to schedule. Sometimes she needs to go pee 5 minutes after giving her water, sometimes she won't go pee until hours after.

I've had three dogs prior to her and never had this much of an issue with potty training. I've basically gone through a whole bottle of enzymatic cleaner in the last week alone. I need help!

·
Registered
102 Posts
First, I hear you! My 10 week old puppy (although house-broken) was peeing constantly -- every 15 minutes or even 8 hours after her last water for the day. Because she would do little squirts several times, I wondered if she may have a bladder infection -- my vet agreed and she is on meds.
Second, no more reprimands -- from your description, she doesn't understand what she is doing wrong yet. Third: the solution - put down lots of papers every where. Once she has soiled them - keep them! Reduce the amount of papers, but always keep at least one soiled paper, close to where you want to eventually go -- she needs to have her scent to know where she is to go. In time, she will realize that is 'her area'. Of course, areas that she has soiled already you must use a cleaner that eliminates the odor - dogs have very good sense of smell, remember. :) But be forewarned -- harse winter or not, you are making it very difficult for actual house-breaking. I did not like taking my 8 week old puppy outdoors either -- but knew I had no choice -- and that was the winter that never ended for us in the northeast 2 years ago -- it was bitter cold and snow on the ground in April! He learned that if you want to come back in, do it quick - and that he did. :) he also was house-broken in about a week or two. good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was more like a panicked "NooooOOOoOoo" than an actual reprimand. xD

And I know about the pee pad thing but seriously not much of a choice. The last few weeks were -20C. So far she's gotten a lot more frequent with going to her spot to pee a few accidents but I can deal with the few. It's gotten a lot warmer now, hopefully it keeps up so we are taking her out as well and letting her poo and pee outside and positive reinforcing that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update on this story. My boyfriend noticed some liquid discharge from her lady parts and upon further inspection by the vet, we found she had a bit of puppy vaginitis. Her potty training has been set back a bit because she can't hold it and has again been peeing everywhere due to her incontinence. Potty training is going to take a lot longer than I thought. xD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts