Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 5 month male pitbull/rotwieler mix puppy. I also live on the top floor of an apartment complex. The hallway to the elevator is all carpet. My puppy likes to tinkle on the carpet while heading to the elevator. He won't pee in the elevator or in the lobby, just on the way to the elevator. If he does tinkle I always pick it up but after so many times the carpet starts to smell. My property manager is furious and said there is a zero tolerance policy for dogs peeing on the property and if it happens again I'll be charged hundreds for the carpet cleaning.

As far as training him, I take him out almost every 2 hrs for the last 2 months. He also liked peeing on the puppy pads for about 3 weeks but now he rips them apart. I tried a shock collar for about 2 weeks and shocked him if he peed in the hall, but it didn't change too much and I hated shocking him. I also kennel train him at night and when I'm gone at school. I was thinking about using doggy diapers just so he won't pee on the carpet, but I've never trained a dog using those before.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? or any advice on training a puppy with diapers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you haven't already, throw that shock collar in the garbage. It's not helpful and you're probably making everything worse.

The puppy pads might have been a catalyst for him peeing on the carpet, dogs can get confused and start peeing on anything with that a similar texture.

The easiest solution for him peeing in the hallway would be to pick him up and carry him outside if possible. If you can't pick him up you need to make sure that you're not giving him any time to stop and sniff around in the hall to have an opportunity to pee. When you take him out, keep him on a short leash and walk quickly to the elevator. Once he's at the elevator, you'll need to distract him from peeing, so bring treats or a toy or something, and make sure his attention is on you. Never let him sniff around. If that doesn't work, look at getting him a belly band for the trip from the door to the outside.

Make sure that when immediately (within a couple seconds) of him peeing outside he gets lots of praise and treats. This will associate good things with peeing outside.

Also you should look at getting a good enzymatic cleaner and thoroughly clean the spot where he's peed. I would also offer to have the carpet in your hallway cleaned to get some good will with your property manager.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
You need to be taking him out more often-and yes, it sucks. That way you're already outside by the time he needs to pee rather than him being unable to hold it while you get to the elevator and everybody is happy. Make sure you bring out good treats for when he goes entirely outside, too.

And as mentioned above...bring it up with the property manager or your hallway is going to smell AWFUL. Pretty much you need to mention it every time it happens so they can clean it promptly as they typically don't have enzyme cleaners and don't want tenants staining carpets (as can happen in some cases). Do something nice in return like bake cookies or offer to pay for the cleaning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts