Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is a 4 month old hound mix puppy. I live in an apartment so I have a synthetic grass pad out on the balcony that I want him to use. He was doing okay using it inside until I moved it outside and that’s where we had some problems. I started leashing him and not letting him leave the pad until he went and that got him to start using it for about three days. I don’t know what happened but now he’s REFUSING to use it at all. I’ll stay out there for hours with him and he won’t use it then as soon as we come back in he’ll pee. I don’t understand why he seemed to be understanding that he should go outside on the pad and then suddenly he’ll do anything not to do that. I take him out everytime I see he’s about to use the bathroom inside, after he’s eaten, and after waking up. Please help

·
Registered
30 Posts
My dog is a 4 month old hound mix puppy. I live in an apartment so I have a synthetic grass pad out on the balcony that I want him to use. He was doing okay using it inside until I moved it outside and that’s where we had some problems. I started leashing him and not letting him leave the pad until he went and that got him to start using it for about three days. I don’t know what happened but now he’s REFUSING to use it at all. I’ll stay out there for hours with him and he won’t use it then as soon as we come back in he’ll pee. I don’t understand why he seemed to be understanding that he should go outside on the pad and then suddenly he’ll do anything not to do that. I take him out everytime I see he’s about to use the bathroom inside, after he’s eaten, and after waking up. Please help
He may have only remembered the spot of the pad, rather than the pad itself. For some dogs, it helps to place some of their own fecal matter where you want them to go and use a cue to let them know what they should be doing, such as "Go Potty". The best bet would be taking him out right in the morning, because he is guaranteed to want to go then. Best of luck!:)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I wonder if something in his mind created an adversity to using the pad in that area outside. I'm not sure how to address that so paging @JoanneF .

But as for toilet training, you'll want to take him to the area you'll want him to go every 45 or so. What I do is if the pup doesn't go within 5 mins, I bring him back in but I watch him like a HAWK. Any indication that he has to go, I take him out. After each meal, after each nap, after a play session or during if he wanders off circling, scatching or anything.

Eventually pup learns that he will be taken out for potty breaks and he learns to hold it inside.

But as I said, I think there's an issue that needs to be addressed first, for some reason he is reluctant to go outside or on the artificial grass pad.

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
Both replies above are good.

He sounds like a clever lad, he is essentially remembering his training - it is just that you have accidentally trained him to toilet indoors.

So try both approaches, don't wash the pad when he has used it to attract him back to it, take him out but bring him in if he hasn't toileted after 5 minutes but don't take your eyes off him, and take him out first thing in the morning.

Also, the moment he does use the grass pad, reward him immediately and generously with several tiny pieces of frankfurter sausage or roast chicken. To a dog, several tiny pieces are higher value than one piece of equivalent size. This has to be immediate to be clear that it's for toileting and not for anything else and it has to be generous to make it worth his while to hold his toilet until he is outside. When he learns that outside toilets = sausages and indoor toilets = nothing, he will work to hold until he is outside.

However. You will have exactly the same issue if you ever want to transition him to toileting outdoors. If that is something you plan to do, replace the fake grass with the sort of substrate he will encounter outside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts